Are we looking at him being under 5 feet tall as an adult?

Long story short. My cousin had her baby taken away at 12 mo old because he had not gained any weight in 6 months. Come to find out,she had been giving him water and Juice only for those 6 months. No formula. At a year he was 12 lbs. He was given to his paternal grandma. CPS said that if he was not steadily gaining weight,he'd be removed from her care. At first he was gaining a few oz's a week,but now at almost 2 1/2,he hasn't gained any weight in several months,and has actually lost 2 lbs after a cold. He's now 24 lbs. CPS isn't planning on removing him.Liars.
He's basically the weight,height,and build of a 15 month old child. You'd swear he was that young if you saw him.
I tried researching what this lack of growth is doing to him,and what it means for his future,but i couldn't find much info.
I know that kids grow quite a bit up to 3,and then it slacks off.
Could he end up like 4'8 or 4'9 and 100 lbs or something?
Could he end up with retardation?
No one seems too concerned that he's so little. Its like they think he'll magically grow to a normal size somewhere in the future. I'm so worried that the lack of growth means EVERYTHING isn't developing.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Some times really good nutrition and vitamins can help a kid catch up. Water and juice for only 6 months, though, is severe malnourishment. SOmetimes, the effects of that are permanant.

Malnourishment can also lead to an inability to gain weight when a person gets older. Audrey Hepburn was not thin as a result of dieting . . . she couldn't gain weight because of early malnourishment.

I am praying that your cousin's baby is able to recover.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Only time will tell. His height and mental issues will be seen in time.

Answer by louise2 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Wow! Well, they're supposed to grow to half their hight by the time that they're 2 and at that age their growth tapers off. But around puberty many kids will hit a growth spurt. I've heard of and known boys that have grown like 2 feet over the summer during a growth spurt. So, you might just have to wait and see. But until then you can start working on his health by feeding him good healthy foods and supplementing with extra vitamins and minerals. Give him a good foundation and his body will do the rest. It may not fix everything but it will definitely help.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I took my son for his annual check up when he was in 3rd grade. A year later I took him and he also didn't gain any weight or grow an inch. It turned out after a lot of testing he is growth hormone deficient (GHD). I had an inkling that might be the case because even in 3rd and 4th grade he was still able to wear toddler clothes. He is now in 7th grade and has grown almost 2 feet in 4 years. He sees a pediatric endocrinologist who manages his medications. He is also hypothyroid. Blood tests are easy though the one to test for GHD is a 3 hour test. Thank God our insurance co covers the growth hormone medication otherwise we'd be paying $14,000 every 3 months. It's a shot given daily. My son has learned how to inject himself now. In the beginning my husband and I did it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Sounds like he gained just fine since his ordeal. My oldest was only 20lbs at 2 years old and didn't gain anything from 18mo-2yo. There was nothing wrong with her. She's just small. When she started kindergarten she was a whopping 32lbs and 39.5" tall. The size of a 3yo. At 7 1/2 she FINALLY hit 40lbs and only hit 50lbs recently at 10 1/2. She's the size of the average 7yo. My 8yo daughter is the same height but 5lbs heavier and she's considered on the small size for her age.
    Kids all grow differently. You won't know how his ordeal as a baby will effect him until he is older.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• He hasn't gained ANY weight since his 2 yr old check up in October. he actually lost 2 lbs when he was weighed last week

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• He might just shoot up one day. I've known a few people who were VERY small. Went through TONS of testing and everything was completely normal. Then almost over night they shoot up and are normal heights. It happens more often than people think.

I myself stopped growing at 2 years old. I didn't grow a single inch until I was 4 1/2 years old. Nothing was wrong with me. Now I'm 5' which in my family is normal, we're all on the shorter side. My cousin stopped growing at 2 years old also for 2 years and then shoot up. He's now 5'10" and not even 18 yet. These things just happen.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I hope so.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• To be fair, some kids are just small kids. My youngest just turned four and is about 28 lbs. She eats fine. I'm only 4'11 and about a hundred pounds. My other kids are small/skinny too. Some kids just are little. I can completely understand your concern being that there is a history of malnourishment here, but I think that there is a wide range of 'normal' weight and, in my family, 24 lbs at 2.5 years would put him right in line with the other kids.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My 5 y/o weighs30 pounds and hasn't gained weight in probably a year or so, she is also very short. Her projected adult height is 4'9". When she was 7 months old she weighed 11 pounds (she weighed 7lb when she was born) My 2 y/o weighs 24 pounds and hasn't gained weight in 6 months. Some children are just thin and it does show in the early years.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2011