A few questions for women who had home and/or water births

Was it a good experience for you? Do you recomend it? If you ever had a hospital birth how did home birth compare? Thanks =)

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I didn't have a home birth,but my best friend just did in December. She had a water birth and wanted me to be there. It was amazing!! She was so calm, and being in the water really relaxed her. She had a midwife and a doula there, and of course, her husband was there. If I had it to do over again, I would love to have had a homebirth. My experiences in the hospital weren't that great.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have had 3 hospital births and 4 home births. #1 and #2 were in the hospital and I did not have good experiences. With #1, I opted for an epidural and they gave me so much I couldn't feel a thing; they had to tell me when to push; and then had to use the 'extractor thing' and my poor son came out with a 'cone' shaped head...thankfully it was only temporary. #2 I almost delivered in the hallway because the nurse did not believe that I was close to delivering; she was shocked when we got to the room & 2 short pushes later out came my daughter w/the doc almost dropping her.

#3 was accidentally born at home! I was in the shower getting ready to head to the hospital and my water broke; felt like pushing; my husband caught the baby in the bath tub (no water) while talking on the phone to a midwife friend of ours. I had never considered a home birth prior to that because I thought they were loony! (Continued below)
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 9:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Cont. The accidental home birth was the best experience and it really SOLD us on the idea of home birth.

#4 was a planned home birth and went flawlessly. She was born 7 minutes after our midwife arrived.

#5 was an emergency c-section due to a pro-lapsed cord.

#6 and #7 were planned VBACs. Both went extremely well. My husband caught #6 because the midwife had just arrived downstairs when our son was born.

We are pregnant with #8 and are planning a home birth…possibly unassisted. I would DEFINITELY recommend a home birth. You are more relaxed and the more relaxed you are the easier labor/delivery you will have.
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 9:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thanks for such a in depth answer 7blessings and congrats on baby 8 I hope all goes well
    Liz132

Comment by Liz132 (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011