Need some advice about moving out...

I'm 20 years old with a 2 1/2 year old..I live with my parents. They baby my daughter so bad, it's ridiculous. I make about $900 a month. I want to move out into my own place, I want to be a better mother and get into gear. I need to feel like I can make it on my own. Everyone I talk to thinks it is stupid to move out when I live here for free, but it's not working out. I will have to move into a rent based apartment, but they are nice in my city. Yes, I will have to get food stamps and Medicaid..but I really need to get my daughter away from the constant babying, it is doing neither of us any good. I know it's going to be hard, I just need some encouragement please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I took my 18 month old daughter and left home when I was 17. I supported us, and we were fine. Grandparents are grandparents for a reason, and they only see the kids for special occasions when it is appropriate to baby them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Good luck hon! You can do it. It will be hard but you need to do what you think is right for you and your child.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Be sure you crunch the numbers to ensure you have enough to live comfortably.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Try and save up for a bit. Maybe stash some money in a savings account for a few months while you look for a place. Also make sure your parents understand that you are not leaving to hurt them!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 8:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• $900 a month will just about cover rent. You also need month for food, utilities, child care, transportation, renters insurance, etc. If you haven't already done so, you need to file for child support

Answer by rkoloms at 11:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• You can do it, BUT, before stepping out into the world think about
    everything you and your child will need to survive at it's minimal ...
    If for some reason you will not be able to maintain things being on your own, then
    don't do it right now, wait and have a talk with your parents.
    Let them know that you appreciate everything they have and are doing for you and
    your child, but she is YOUR child and you don't like her being treated like a baby...
    Let them know that you are NOT asking them to stop spoiling/babying her as their grandchild,
    but you are asking them to stop treating her as if she IS still a baby when she is not...and not to
    over ride your decisions for her as HER mother...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• How about sitting down and talking to your parents first. And if they refuse, then look at moving out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:25 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• you can do it, best of luck
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 11:02 AM on Feb. 17, 2011