Need some advice -"middle school Girl"

i have a daughter whos in 7th grade, since she is a good girland i normally dont have problems with her.. i let her go to the mall, movies and friends house...and she also has a school boyfriend, whom she only sees at school. she is very open with me about things in her life...im not the parent who tries to be her friend , i feel she is a typical middle school girl...considering some of her peers are doing drugs, having sex, skipping school and drinking...and all that stuff..
i dont understand why i catch alot of slack for letting her do these things and have a bf..they say i give her to much freedom ...my daughter has never gave me a reason not to trust her,,, shes always were she says she is, i dont catch her in lies...when i see some other kids who do all that other stuff, im thankful all my kid does is ask to go to the mall or text with her friends..i dont understand am i just not seeing it ,,, please put your advice in and tell me what you think

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sounds like you have a good kid. Ignore everyone who wants you to think otherwise. Misery loves company, as they say.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Sounds like you're doing a great job!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Each parent has diffrent ways to raise their kids. Me personally my kids dont date until they are 16. I do let them go to freinds houses we dont have a mall anywhere near us so thats not an issue. If you think you are making the right choices for your child then dont worry about what others say.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree .. sounds like you have a great kid and you're doing a great job! :)
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It sounds to me you have done a good job of raising her, just keep your eye out for anything not quite kosher...and ignore the comments of others.

Answer by older at 7:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• You have the absolute right to raise your child as you see fit. Until she gives you a reason not to trust her I wouldn't change a thing. My daughter is 13 and in 8th grade and has some friends who are not allowed to go to the mall . Yet these same girls are allowed to dress like street walkers. I don't get it at all , but I respect their decision about the mall . My daughter knows that if she wants to spend time with certain friends it will not be at the mall. One friend's mom said she can go but you have to stay at the mall with them. I said no way . I live like three minutes from the mall and both girls have cell phones. These kids are going into high school next year.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Thank you guys that really helped!...i see all the things these young kids are doing these days...and i feel blessed that i have a good kid, yes during her time of the month she gets a lil snippy with me and sometimes she fights with her sister and she takes forever to clean her room but if thats all i have to deal with then im happy with that. she volunteers info about her life, im sure not all but she talks to me ...if someone bothers her she tells me.well anyways i feel better thx
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2011