My girls are mixed, african american and caucasian. Their hair is curly, but not kinky curly. What can I put in it so it does not get so frizzy? I have a detangler, but it still gets frizzy.

Seraphinne

Asked by Seraphinne at 12:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Coconut oil
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I'm not mixed, but curly hair very seriously runs in the family (check out profile!). First, while hair is still wet from shower,comb/brush hair with a wide toothed brush into the style you want it to dry in (I just part mine along the side)and be very gentle while doing this, some magazines say not to comb/brush it wet, but honestly, if I didn't, the top would be super frizzy. Then put in a leave in condition (curly hair needs extra moisture to keep from frizzing)applying it with your hands (put about a quarter-sized drop in your hands, rub then together, then comb through hair with your fingers concentrating on ends mostly (or spots where it can get super frizzy). I use Pantene leave-in. Next put in a mousse, I can't tell you a good one, it'll be trail and error since some have too much alcohol leaving your hair crunchy, and others don't have enough making it limp. Finish with a spray shine (I use VO5) IF you want.

aschwer

Answer by aschwer at 1:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• one more thing...if you look through my pics, you can also see what our hair looks like without products (check out my son's pumpkin ones! haha, poor guy!)...and I forgot to say, I also use a curling iron occasionally to help with the kinkier curly that don't really know what to do. I use it mostly on my bangs (you can see that pic too on page 2. PM me if you need any other tips/suggestions. :)
    aschwer

Answer by aschwer at 1:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Aschwer mentioned using a good mousse, which is what I was going to say. I am not mixed, but I had uncontrollable curly hair for a long time before I learned how to take care of it. I have seriously tried like every mousse on the market. I like the Garnier Fruictisse Curl Construct mousse. L'oreal makes an awesome mousse for curly hair as well, but it is a little more expensive and comes in a small can.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I am not mixed just african american and I have 2 mixed god daughters (asian- Af Am) I suggest using a little hair grease. They sell it just for children It may even be called " just for me" i want to say. But I had to remind my bff that black people can't wash their hair everyday and tho keep it oiled. That will help with the frizziness.... I promise!!!!
    Kosto1120

Answer by Kosto1120 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Oh yeah pink oil moisturizer works well too
    Kosto1120

Answer by Kosto1120 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• olive oil.... they have this hair stuff at walmart with olive oil in it and it works great
    Jani2594

Answer by Jani2594 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Pink oil moisturizer is good for my little girls hair she is also mixed
    mom2tayza_jayda

Answer by mom2tayza_jayda at 2:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• After the tub and when their hair is wet, put in Paul Mitchel's Skinny Serum. It smells sooooooo good and it also protects the hair from any kind of heat or hair products. Use that, then style as you usually do, with whatever else you use.
    xtina34

Answer by xtina34 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• jojoba oil, coconut oil, and olive oil hair products are good for frizzies... my sons are mexican/white, and i have to use these products on them.. i really like the Palmers Olive Oil shampoo and conditioner.. you can find it at walmart.. Ulta has a good coconut oil shampoo and conditioner also, its by a brand called Inecto.. its with the non salon brand haircare section..
    nana

Answer by nana at 7:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2008