Twilight and all "cult" related books are the devil?

Ok I know for me this is not true but I was outside the other day working in the yard when a couple came to me and they were Jehovah witnesses and they were explaining how god doesn't like us thinking or getting in to things like this. I listened and respect their opinion but as for me, I don't want to fill my kids heads with thoughts that it is wrong to enjoy a nice novel or story line especially one that has some values in it if you think about but regardless, I don't see it as being demonic. My question is; do you think they are using the cliche's and pop culture to persuade their belief in others? (This goes for all religions)

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Thats funny considering twilight was written by a strong Mormon. lol

No, and im sorry, i have a friend that is jehovahs witness, but i do not believe ANYTHING that they do. I believe they are more cult than twilight is.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• lol I know. Obviously they don't see that but it's ok. They can believe what they want.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Kinda. Strict interpretation of doctrine applied to modern creative inventions is the same twist previous religious generations have tried.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No, as long as you know the difference between a book and reality....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Good point BabyBug...that is a very good thing for some people to realize. I do know some take it to extremes
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• if extreme is waiting in line for hours to see the first showing or taking the day off to see breaking dawn 11 months before it actually comes out and making your own shirt and going with a group of people and wanting to scream you get so excited... consider me extremely guilty ;)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• haha! I am so with you on that Mom!
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Depends on your mindset and what you choose to allow your spirit to engage in.
    God may allow some people to read or watch these movies to teach them about something He wants them to see that pertains to their giftings and calling. For others it is not a good idea. Each christian needs to discern the voice of Holy Spirit and go with the promptings. It is about knowing what the Lord asks of you.
    Are they the devil... no... are they of devil... possibly but God can turn anything around to teach us something. Religion mindsets like the J W's will go against something they think God is against without really knowing the heart of God.
    There is a bible scripture that speaks about eating meat but if it causes your brother to fall... have respect for your brother and do not eat meat in front of him. Same with anything you do that can cause a person to sin. We as Christians are in different places in our walk with the Lord cont
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• need to respect that!
    Shaneagle777

• Well of course Twilight is the devil because VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE!!!!

Seriously though, there are many that believe ridiculous things about pop culture. There always has been and I have no doubt there always will be. Elvis' hips were too seductive. Ozzy/Iron Maiden encouraged Satanism if you played their records (remember those) backwards. The list can go on and on and on! 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011