Flying with 1 y.o. on a 14 hour flight....Help

I have flown with her before a bunch of times but have no clue what to do on this 14 hour flight. She will be sitting with us in our laps (cant afford the extra seat) so I need stuff that she can do.

I know about the whole wrapping a toy up and letting her unwrap it and play with it.

I know we will be flying overnight so I wont have to try and play with her the whole time but I would love to have some suggestions.

How much stuff do you think I should bring? I was thinking a small suitcase for all the stuff for the plane...But what do you think.

Thanks

Christiansmom17

Asked by Christiansmom17 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Travel

• I think a small bag of her fav things will suffice. I've flown tons of time with my son, and what I've done that has worked is this. Take maybe 2 or 3 things that she is likely to play with everyday, and put them away for a day or two before your flight. "Reintroduce" them on the flight and she should be excited enough to see them and want to play with them. Also, one new thing is good too. Pack some snacks, and a blanket for her, and she should be set. Does she watch tv? If so, does she have any fav shows yet? Maybe a portable dvd player with a dvd of her fav show. That worked this past year with my son. And hey, she might just end up sleeping the whole way anyway :). Good luck!
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Have you called customer service to ask about the cost of the additional seat? American Airlines told me for international flights he price is *super* cheap if they are under two. It used to be like $50 dollars, I think it changed to 10% of the lowest ticket price. Just letting you know - I had NO idea until I called.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• are you high? ok, sorry. but i would talk to the pediatrician and honestly see if there is anything you can safely! give her like benadryl. most of these flights have individual movie screens, but i don't know how many kid movies they will have. does she even watch kid movies at this point? if yes i would bring a portable dvd player, maybe with some baby einstein or interactive games. hit the dollar store and get 5 or 6 new toys. todds also LOVE office supplies. she can be entertained for a hour with post its or tape! good luck!
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 9:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• We went to Austrilia when Kaleb was 13 months. It turned out to be fine. We didn't get the extra seat either but he slept most of the time. We took his fav blanket, a few toys, and snacks. I also gave him meds. I always get a new toy and or book before going on a fight. Even now I do but now it's more like a new DVD or book. What are you going to do with Christian?? DVD player?? I think Dvd players are the best things ever. i hope that helps.
    Chrissyz84

Answer by Chrissyz84 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I do have a portable DVD player but have no idea if she will like movies by then. I guess I will have to see then if she will and what she will like.
    Christian will be staying home with my inlaws.
    Christiansmom17

Answer by Christiansmom17 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• sounds like you already got good answers. all i'll add is, if you have a noisy toy that she likes, but you don't want to bring 'cause you don't want to bother other passengers, put tape over the speaker. it helps muffle the noise. that and the added jet noise and it won't be nearly as annoying as you'd think. =)

oh, and walk around the plane and look for nice looking "grandma" types. =) they usually offer to help entertain babies and can be a good distraction when you're 10 hrs in! =)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 9:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I would definitely bring the portable DVD player and just bring any movies that are colorful. At 1 yo my daughter loved The Little Mermaid. I would also bring her favorite blanket and some of her toys. If you can I would bring a coloring book and crayons. She might like coloring.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 10:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2008