What would you do if your kid was lying about homework?

Got my honor roll students progress report a couple weeks ago and noticed that she wasn't turning in her homework. We had a long discussion about it. I told her that she is not allowed to go outside to play with her friends until her homework is done and I ask her everyday if she has homework. I just found out today that she hasn't been doing the homework again. I asked her why and she didn't have a reason. I asked her why she lied about not having homework and she didn't have anything to say. What would you do? Clearly, talking to her didn't work... now what?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 7:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son was lying about homework too. I grounded him for a week off the computer the only thing he can look up is the effects of lying. What people think what the Bible says about it whatever...

SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Lying in my house is a HUGE rule break. Loss of privileges, loss of stuff is usually involved. If it is a case of multiple lies...the more harsh. I dealt with a situation like this. I had to set up a 'log' with the teacher. She signed by where he wrote the HW assignment and I signed that I had seen it. Arriving at school without me signing it meant he had detention. Coming home w/o it signed meant he was grounded. It took a couple of weeks but he got better when he realized this was a long term plan and we weren't letting up.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My DD did that and it is nearly impossible to pin down. I had numerous meetings with her teachers. She was just outright rebellious. You might have to work closely with her teacher as a follow up. Best of luck to you and your DD.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Let her deal with the natural consequences of not doing her homework...failing grades.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The bigger issue here is the lying. Not doing homework will catch up with her and she'll fail. You need to deal with the lying. I've had to deal with that recently with my children, who are 9 and 11, and I spanked them and took away tv, video game and computer privileges for a few days. I think they got the message.
    Anonymous

• Ask to see her homework and try to make sense of it bc I know their school work is way different now then back in our days so just check what you can ask her questions about it and then go from there if she should go to her friends home or not. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Because she refused to answer your questions, should not prevent you from talking to her and finding out why she hasn't turned in her homework. There's a reason and she's refusing to give you the reason. My son had this problem and found out that he didn't think his answers were right. He had a hard time with math and felt like giving up. I got him a tutor to help him with the math and the problem of not turning in his assignments stopped. I may have been stuck as you are IF we didn't have some type of communication.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011