Engorged Nipples

Any advice on dealing with engorged nipples? Mine are always the size of my thumb nail and hurt to even have breast pads touch, forget about shower water hitting them- OUCH :(

cbd78

Asked by cbd78 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you hand expressed just to relieve the pressure?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• soak them in epsom salt and warm water for 5 min. youll feel normal again.
    hlmommy

Answer by hlmommy at 7:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I exclusively pump so every two hours I express :(
    cbd78

Comment by cbd78 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Is it just the nipples or is it your breast too? If so Wear a bra with very good support dont take off and cabbage leafs in the bra to works
    LilTiffanysmomm

Answer by LilTiffanysmomm at 7:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Nipples don't engorge, breasts do. They are swollen & tender from being pumped. Mine would do the same thing, both from pumping and putting baby to the breast. Have you tried lanolin?
    Anonymous

• Is this constant? Ouch! I'm a big fan of Motherlove Nipple Cream, I recommend it all the time. Have you seen an IBCLC on this matter? That would be the first person I'd look to for advice, or a LLL leader. Has it always been like this, or just recently? I'm going to assume that your breasts are engorged, not just your nipples, because I've never heard of that before. I would NOT recommend cabbage leaves in your bra, while it DOES relieve engorgement, I think it works TOO well, and you would run a real risk of it affecting your supply, and possibly drying up.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• oh sorry just read were you pump for your baby to eat so no cabbage leafs but still use a support bra
    LilTiffanysmomm

Answer by LilTiffanysmomm at 12:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2011