Anyone ever get their baby's TOP LIP frenulum clipped due to difficulty breastfeeding?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No but my oldest was tongue tied and had to have the one under his tongue clipped. It's pretty common.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No, but my two older kids had the frenulum underneath their tongues cut due to being tongue tied. Is the frenulum keeping the lip from turning out while nursing? Is there an ear/nose/throat doctor you can see to get an opinion? I haven't heard of the top lip causing problems, but I can see how it would be possible if the lip doesn't turn outwards while nursing.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes my doctor and my lactation consultant recommended that I get it clipped. They said that they have seen it done and 10 minutes later the baby is nursing great. It is said to be less painful than a circumcision and heals very fast because of the bacteria on the mouth. I will have to go to the ear/nose/throat doctor to have it done. I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011