Do you believe child labor laws should be up to the states, and not the federal government?

Newly elected Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah wants to abolish federal child labor laws. Mr. Lee said that enforcing child labor laws should be up to the states, not the federal government. Like his GOP colleague from Kentucky, Mr. Lee doesn’t believe the federal government has any business protecting American citizens from unconstitutional behavior.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/14/mike-lee-child-labor-laws_n_809100.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No. Some things need to be at the Federal level to be consistent throughout the country

Answer by admckenzie at 8:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Nope, it's under federal jurisdiction.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No- agree with admmckenzie
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• This is a human rights issue. This gentleman seems intent on throwing us back to Industrial Revolution days.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• omg why dont yall freak out over nothing. He isnt saying there SHOULDNT be any child labor laws...just that it isnt an issue for the FEds but the STATES. Good grief. There would still be LAWS.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• NOPE, it should be Federal. I believe when it comes to human rights EVERY state should have to follow the SAME laws.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• No while many things should be kicked back to the state level this is not one of them. Because then what is child abuse will change from state to state and it will create an entire mess of issues.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• omg why dont yall freak out over nothing. He isnt saying there SHOULDNT be any child labor laws...just that it isnt an issue for the FEds but the STATES.

Maybe you should read my question again. That's what I asked, should it be states or federal? I believe all the states should be united on child labor laws. All children should be protected. I see no reason to lower the age or change the amount of hours allowed to work from state to state.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I say read the Constitution. Does it mention anything about labor laws? I don't recall that it does. Therefore it should be a states issue rather than a federal issue.

Yes, there should be child labor laws, but the states should be the ones dealing with them.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I say read the Constitution. Does it mention anything about labor laws? I don't recall that it does. Therefore it should be a states issue rather than a federal issue. Yes, there should be child labor laws, but the states should be the ones dealing with them. I say that the constitution is not the bible. And you shouldn't refer to it as such. You should probably take a course in the formation of our country or read a couple of books on the history of the U.S. and what exactly the framers intention was for that pliable piece of paper

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:26 AM on Feb. 17, 2011