What is the difference in store brand formula and brand-name formula?

Do you think it will hurt to switch dd over to store brand formula?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When we had our middle son we had this conversation with his pedi. We had lost WIC for about 2 months and had to buy the formula ourselves and it was adding up. The pedi told me that they have to be held to the same standards as the "name"brands and theirs nothing wrong with them. If your baby will tolerate the change, I say go for it. Our middle son was on soy and we thought it would be a problem to switch him, we did it slowly and he never had an issue.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 8:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I personally have had no problem with store brand. It most likely won't cause any digestive problems.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 8:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• First of all when I used formula with my kids I ignored the store brand... I read labels, what is the vitamin content? Than I buy a single can, and I will literally taste it, some of those coming in from other countries taste like they are a chemical waste dump! And if it taste nasty to me, you can bet my baby will think the same thing since they have much better taste buds (haven’t been made dull by hot coffee and so forth! And try and stick to things made in the USA…

China has already imported hamburger meat with ground cardboard, tooth past that was tainted, pet food that killed American pets, and lead based toys…
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Oh, and added DHA and Choline!!! Smarter babies...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• do the switch slowly
    dawnmichelle3

Answer by dawnmichelle3 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Formula's are regulated to basically have the same nutrients in each of them. You can compare labels (that's what I did). You could try store brand to see if your baby will tolerate it. I agree with the pp though, you might want to switch slowly.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 7:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• If you do your research you may find its still true that some of the generics and name brands are actually manufactured in the same plant and labeled differently.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2011