Formula && Gas problems.

My baby just turned two months yesterday.
He is on Similac Advance formula and for the past couple of days he's been REALLY fussy. He won't hardly have a bowel movement without a suppository, he's been spitting up, and has really bad gas buildup. I called the doctor yesterday and they said to let him drink an ounce of water in between feedings. But, it doesn't seem to be helping at all. I've even tried switching formulas especially designed for this stuff, and it seems to just have made it worse, as well. I rub on his stomach and put his legs up to his stomach, but that doesn't seem to help him too much. It seems like i've tried just about EVERYTHING. He never really has had this problem before, up until the past week or so.
Does anybody have any suggestions on gas buildup or anything? Please && thank you.

babygirl_brea90

Asked by babygirl_brea90 at 8:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Extra water I would think would make it worse. When I was trying to nurse and pump, my boy would get major painful gas and stomach cramps because he was getting all foremilk and no hindmilk and the excess water in the foremilk is what did him in. He's five months old now, on gentle formula and we use Mylicon drops (the gas drops) with him and it really seems to help.

If you haven't tried the Mylicon drops (you can get them at Walmart or any drugstore or the like), give it a shot.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 8:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Oh, and we had to CONSTANTLY burp him- we're talking every half ounce or so for a while or he'd spit up.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 8:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree with the Mylicon drops, although if your son is constipated then the water is going to help, its going to give his intestines more fluids and help push all that bowel through. Also if its just gas, there might be a simple quick fix, but if he's constipated you may not have given things enough time to work. It only takes 1-2 days to become constipated but it can take a week or more for it to be relieved, and its going to be painful in the process. If you believe things are getting worse, contact the pediatrician and ask for an appointment, and have the Dr evaluate. There might be something prescription that could help, or the DR might have a different solution then the nurse. With my son we found out it was lactose intolerance and it wasn't until we switched to soy formula that the gas and stomach irritation finally stopped. And it took 6 months to figure this out. Hopefully your LO gets relief before that!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• This is just a suggestion, so please don't take it the wrong way. I don't know your situation, or anything about you, but, breast milk could help. If you're open to nursing, it's possible to start late (assuming there are no serious medical reasons for not nursing) even after using formula. Pumping and bottle feeding breast milk is also possible. As I said, these are only ideas, because I know that breast milk is easier on the stomach, and a natural laxative. If it's not something you're interested in looking into, please disregard that part of the post.

If you DON'T use a suppository, how long would he go before moving his bowels? What are his stools like? Considering the fact that you've tried other formulas, a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist might be a good idea. I've heard of water being recommended for situations like this, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it. I wouldn't be offering it between
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• EVERY feeding either. I'm so sorry your LO is suffering, and am racking my brain for ideas. I DO want to tell you that, even if someone recommends it, I advise against using Karo syrup for babies. Actually, Karo advises against it. They specify on their website that it should not be fed to infants, yet it is still recommended frequently. What have you tried, in the formula department? Have you tried a soy based formula? (though, it's common for people with dairy sensitivity to also be sensitive to soy...common, but not every person) What about the formulas that are broken down and/or amino acid based rather then cows milk or soy based? I hope some of what I said can help you in some way, and I hope you find SOMETHING that helps your LO!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• try gripe water and bicycle movements with the legs your baby is at that age where you will be up late and then it will go away as quickly as it came

I breastfed and gave my babies NESTLE Omega formula which was recommended by my Dr. maybe try another?
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Krysta622: Actually, whenever he was born, I was considering nursing. But, since he was doing good on formula the hospital had given him, I thought it would hurt him to switch. After two months my milk has already dried up. I SINCERELY regret not breast feeding now, =[. So no offense taken, =]. Sometimes he goes two or three days before he has a bowel movement, then other days he's just fine. Thank you for helping me, =]. I'm going to take him to the doctor tomorrow. I'm just trying to think of ways to get him through the night. It breaks my heart to see my son hurting so much.
    babygirl_brea90

Comment by babygirl_brea90 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• At 2 months, your supply probably hasn't COMPLETELY dried up, but has dried up enough that you won't notice that you have milk. Regardless, you CAN build a supply, if you want. I'm mentioning this because you seem interested. Women who've NEVER carried a child or delivered a child can build a supply, so a woman who is 2 months post partum most certainly can. It takes a lot of work, dedication, and patience, but it's VERY possible. If you ARE interested, just say so and I'll give you some advice and links. Getting through tonight, if you want to give it a go, see if he'll latch. Even with little to no milk, nursing is comforting to babies, and might help. Again, all of the breastfeeding advice I'm offering here is only if you want to. I hope you don't feel that I'm pushing you or anything. If so, let me know and I'll back off.
    2-3 days between bowel movements isn't a huge deal. When he goes, what is his stool like?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would very much like the links, =]. And as far as his stool goes, it looks like it's all clobbered up.
    babygirl_brea90

Comment by babygirl_brea90 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Some basic info on relactation. First, establish whether or nor baby will latch on. Offer your breast at a calm, quiet time, preferably not when baby is due for a feeding, but a little earlier. If baby will latch, then just nurse, preferably at every feeding before his formula. If you do those things, and it's working out well, and you're sure baby is getting something from you, you could gradually decrease the amount of formula at each feeding and essentially, be EBF if you want to.
    If your baby won't latch at first, you would have a little more work ahead of you. I'd start by pumping pretty regularly. It would be IDEAL, but maybe not always possible for some women, to pump every time he's having a bottle. If you can't do that, as often as possible, every 2-3 hours around the clock. Speak to an IBCLC if you can or an LLL leader. Keep offering the breast, you want to let him have access. I'd get a supplemental
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2011