How do you give a child eyedrops?

My son got pink eye in both eyes and i am having the hardest time giving him the eyedrops................i have tried all methods bribery, tricks, being forceful, showing him it wont hurt, and chasing him around the house HELP

shorty2_02

Asked by shorty2_02 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ugh....i just had to do this. I had to hold her down and force them in. It is no fun. GL
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Calm down and wait until he goes to sleep. Sneak in very quietly. Be ready to do it quickly. I have never done it. But since nothing else worked why not give it a try.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It's not fun! Our general method was to lay them down on their back, hold their lids open, and drop the eyedrop on the inner fold of their eye next to their nose and then let it run in rather than dropping it directly into the eye- then lots of praise and a cookie!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• my oldest never had eye drops until a few months ago at 5.5 when she got pink eye from her younger sister she cried, but didn't squirm or anything like that so i didn't rea have any problems with that one. My 3 year old had to have eye drops a lot. She had a clogged tear duct when she was about 2-3 weeks old they tried drops at fist it didn't work so they had to do surgery on her eyes to open them which they gave eye drops for after that then she ended up having problems with it again at 2 so she had eye drops then a few months ago at 2.5 she had pink eye and had to have eye drops so after the first time it was fine, but the first time and before that I had to be forceful. I had to actually sit on top of her puting her hands under my legs and putting her face between my knees she screamed, but that was the onlyway I could get them in.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i had put a princess sticker on the container and told my 2yr old it will change her into a princess. lol
    then she would lay back CLOSE her eye and we would but the drop right in the corner so when she opened her eye it would go in. Didnt seem to bother her.
    Then of course cookies and hugs
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 10:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Lay him down and tell him to look the side the eye is on. (left eye look left and vice versa) then put the drops in the inner corner of his eye. often times if they can't see it go for their eye or see the drops, they won't freak out as much.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:24 AM on Feb. 17, 2011