Carseat?

when do you switch out of rearfacing carseats ?
All the one's that ive seen say 40lbs and up.
my son is 22lbs, almost 10months old, and his legs are too long in his carseat now, he has to bend his knees. what do i doooo ?!?!

ohhowilovemyson

Asked by ohhowilovemyson at 9:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check with your local police department AND ask the baby's doctor... they know the correct answer for where you live!!! More so the police station since they would be the ones pulling you over???
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Mommclark is right. I work as a police dispatcher and we have ppl call every week to ask carseat questions. They vary state to state. Good luck.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• rear facing car seats like infant seats only go to 20 lbs not 40 and my daughter hit that at 9 months and her knees were bent from being squished so i moved her to a bigger car seat and made her forward facing. i only forward faced her at that age because the car i had made it impossible to see out my rear view mirror with her continuing to rear face. other than the 20 mark experts say that its ok to forward face at a year and 20lbs unless you have specific reasons to do at another age.
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 9:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• they say wait as long as possible but @ 20 pounds you can turn them around
    momofthreeIRC

Answer by momofthreeIRC at 9:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I checked your profile and saw you live in PA. PA law required that the child remain rear facing until ONE YEAR OF AGE AND TWENTY POUNDS. That means that if you put your 10 month old in a forward facing car seat, you are breaking the law.
    My son is 20 months old, 35 inches tall and 27 pounds. We have a Gracco My Ride 65 and he is rear facing. He folds his leg to sit and he is fine. This seat even fits in small cars.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• u can RF up to 40 pounds depends on the seat! we have a myride 65 its great!! my dd has to fold her legs in to sit in it but its no big deal!! im more worried about getting in a crash with her FF and having serious injuries so i will leave her RF until 40 pounds! better safe than sorry!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• His legs are not too long... there is nothing wrong with bent knees... he's in no danger. If he's still in his infant seat you might want a convertible seat which will allow for more leg room.

By LAW he MUST be 1 years AND 20 lbs... even if your state law doesn't write it as such there isn't a single seat on the market that will allow for a child to FF before those minimums. But even more important that what the LAW says is what is SAFEST... and it is SAFEST to keep children RF as long as possible... which is why you see seats that RF to 35-40 lbs. Children now RF to 2-3 years old because it's safer.

My son is 2 1/2, 39 inches and 33 lbs and he's STILL RF because his safety is the most important.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Bending knees has nothing to do with RF or FF. Legally, you must keep your child rear facing until at LEAST 12 mos of age AND 20 lbs. It is recommended to continue rear facing past those minimums, and many people do keep their children rear facing all the way to the rear facing limit of their specific carseat.
    Is your LO in an infant carrier, or a convertible carseat? If it's a carrier, you can get a convertible at any time now and just use it rear facing. They're bigger, and can be positioned more upright for a slightly older baby.
    I say, keep your child rear facing, until at least the legally required age/weight, and encourage you to keep him rear facing past those outdated minimums.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• We switched from an infant seat to a convertible seat at 16 months, but she is still RFing and she will RF until she is to the limit on her seat regardless of whether her knees are bent or not.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• my little one is just 6 months and I ordered a rear facing convertible.. she can sit in that rf untill 1 year 20 lbs or up to 40 then you can turn it around for ff there are many different kinds look on walmart.com and they will give you a whole bunch of convertible car seats you can chose from....
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:08 AM on Feb. 17, 2011