How will you know when is the end of paying child support? (Tx)

They are almost 18 but they might go to college personally we would like to finally give money straight to the kid bc I know we have continue to pay once they finish college.
but for now will we receive a letter in the mail stating we are near to end cs or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• ~*Awesome*~... Almost 18, and now directly to the child instead of dealing with an ex... HONEY CELEBRATE!!! Here in CA it is up to age 25 as long as they are in college but they need to prove the fact,and don't get a year to "find themselves"... hahaha

~*Wine*~.. and slow danincin' with hubby!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think how long you pay depends on the state, because here in Ohio child support stops when the child turns 18, AND finishes high school. So if they turn 18 as a senior, the parent keeps paying until graduation day. There's no child support during college, because they're no longer a "child". College institutions take into consideration both parents income when figuring financial aid, so I don't actually see the point in paying through college, that's a bummer. My best advice is to look up the child support laws in your state, somewhere I'm sure it says when it stops, and if not, contact the court through which the support is through. They will be able to give you a definite answer, like when they reach this age, or when you receive this letter etc.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• to further pay child support you have to go back to court to establish if the children are going to attend college and to figure an accurate price. I don't know any further than this... good luck.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• What? I never knew that. My ex pays child support till our daughters are 18 and both are planning to go straight to college in a few years. Does this mean if he doesn't pay them when they are full time college, they can really do anything about it? It's hard enough getting him to pay the measley amount he does already.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 9:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes danishlady as bad as it sounds we have to continue to dish out money we don't have until they are done with college :( GL to you
    I just want to know how will we know we're done paying?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• wow really? don't feel the need to support DH's kids. got it. Why marry him when you knew he'd have these responsibilities. these kids get the worse out of broken homes. the least you can do is send them the money and not count the days until its over. Maybe help them thru college
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 11:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I live in Texas. All depends on your divorce decree, but in all likelihood support will end at the end of their senior year.
    poisonivy2917

Answer by poisonivy2917 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Whatever your court papers say. Read them.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Child support? He doesn't pay what he is supposed to pay now. She will be close to 21 before he is even current with his payments. Don't begrudge the child the money he/she needs.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2011