SHOULD SHE HAD GOTTEN ARRESTED????

A mother was arrested for sending her child to a school out of district. Not only was she arrested, she had to pay monies back to her own district. Was this fair? Have you ever sent your child out of district?

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 9:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• She was not arrested for the fact that she sent her kids to another school. She was arrested because she LIED and FALSIFIED DOCUMENTS when she was confronted by the school about her kids not living in the district. Yes, she deserved to be arrested for lying and falsifying documents.
    And No, I've never sent my kids to a school out of their district. When I didn't like what the one district had to offer my child, I moved to a better district.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• ~*Yes*~ it is perfectly fair!! She SHOULD have asked for a district transfer from the one she wanted to be in!!! If I have to and follow rules.. why can't others????
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have never had to send my kids out of their district. I can see why some parents would be desperate to do so and she was probably doing it for the best intrest of her child, sometimes you can get permission like if you work in a diffrent area and want to take your kids to that area. Do I think she should have been arrested no. However she should have tried legal ways to get her child into a different sytem.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Although not all of us have the luxury of just being able to up and move when we are displeased with a school, I too agree she should have been arrested. Falsifying documents, regardless of the reasoning, is illegal. However, I do know where the mother is coming from. I currently live in a district I'm not please with. SO and I have talked about moving, but the area we live in is NOT doing well, and we're both aware the house wouldn't sell for nearly what its worth, not even close, so moving just isn't logical at this point. But I sympathize with that mother, I know what its like to not be able to afford private school, know the district you live in is in such poor standards the state is threatening to take over, and be a working mom so the option of homeschooling just isn't there. But, you do the crime, you do the time. Life isn't always fair.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• wtf thats wierd i know alot of people....
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• not only is it fair for her to pay fines/etc....she lives out of district, which means any increase in property taxes(school-related) within that district are paid by those who live in that district..she doesn't live there, but gets to benefit from those who do pay the extra taxes? i think not!
    you bet its fair!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I understand her reasoning behind sending her child to the other school. However, what she did was fraud. It is wrong and it is illegal. Yes, she should have been arrested, and yes, she should be paying the district back.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 10:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Although not all of us have the luxury of just being able to up and move when we are displeased with a school, I too agree she should have been arrested.
    _____________
    I was a single mom making $10 an hour. It wasn't a luxury, it was a hardship. I had to pay more in rent because of my choice, but my son is worth it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i wonder what was wrong with the district she lived in. you know besides that a woman there got arrested for sending her kids to another school...oh, ooopppsyyy!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes, it was fair. There are proper channels to go by if your want child to attend a certain district/school and I did just that.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011