Ovulation pain

Can ovulation pain come and go throughout a day or would you just feel it for a period of time once on a certain day? I felt a little jab in my lower left side 2 days yesterday morning for about 20 minutes, then if left and returned again in the afternoon for about an hour and then it left and hasn't come back. I have felt it before back in the fall before I got pregnant. This is the first time I have felt this familiar feeling since last November. Do you think I was feeling ovulation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• There is a theory that ovulation pain does not come from the actual release of the egg, but from the release of the fluid that is in the cyst surrounding the egg. Whenever you have extra fluid in your abdomen, you will get that striking and familiar pain. When you feel mittleschmerz, or ovulation pain, it is only an indication that an egg has previously released or is just about to be released . . . it doesn't mark the "actual" time or release.
    If you are pregnant and feeling that same pain, mention it to your OB. If it comes and does not go away, page your OB.
    By the way, sometimes women get sharp pain around the belly from the stretching of the uterus and stomach muscles. It is always worth a mention of these aches and pains to your nurse or OB. They will have answers, and can put your mind at ease.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011