What do you feed a picky 16 month old?

My son is so incredibly picky!!! I am having the hardest time figuring out things to feed him especially for lunch and dinner! My 4 year old has never been picky so this is a little new to me! We have tried to give him everything we eat, everything we cook but there is very very little he will actually eat and enjoy! He is interested in what we are eating so when we sit down to eat, we give him what we are eating but up until now, we have resorted to giving him baby food when he refuses it. But now, he's even refusing the baby food! so, I'm really struggling for ideas, especially for lunch. My 4 year old would either eat what we ate or he ate those gerber graduate meals, which my 16 month old refuses as well! it's so exhausting trying to find something he'll eat. And he's got 12 teeth so it's not that he can't chew stuff! He used to love grilled cheese sandwiches but he's now refusing that as well! Please help!!!!

survivor79

Asked by survivor79 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure what to tell you, but try to stop it now before he gets older. I have a 16 year old that still only eats a handful of things. Good luck!!
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 10:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• im going through the same thing with my 13month old.
    heres what we feed her since she refuses baby food also.
    Breakfast
    french toast sticks.....bagels w/cream cheese....oatmeal (just tried that today).....scrambled eggs w/ or w/out cheese....pancakes....yougurt
    Lunch
    Hotdogs......Ham.....cheese.....cheese sandwich.....fruit (loves bananas)
    Dinner
    I try to do babyfood just for the veggies if not......any kind of pasta....mashed potatoes.....campbells soups (chicken and rice is her fav.)
    and thats about it. She chokes on peas and green beans then throws everything up. I need new ideas also. Good luck
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 10:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• A 16 month old can't be picky. They don't have a palate to be picky. A 16 month old is getting used to all the new textures, tastes, etc of tablefoods. It will take a BABY about 10-12 times of eating a food to like it or not. Keep offering new foods along with the foods you know he or she will eat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• at tyfry7469...I also had a picky 16 month year old. And I do think they can be picky cuz mine sure was. He still is picky, but not nearly as picky as when he was16 months.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 6:36 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My son went though the same thing for a while. I think for him, a lot of it was texture, or appearance. Sometimes I would put a taste in his mouth just so he knew what it tasted like (not in a mean way, just put some on my finger and stick it in his mouth for him to taste) and sometimes he would figure out, 'oh, yeah, this IS good, I think I will have some more!' and start eating it on his own and of course, sometimes he would spit it out, but at least he tasted it. But the things he would never eat I never gave up on. He is 3 now and there are still some things he doesn't want to eat, but I still offer them and try to get him to eat them. Like corn! He still won't eat corn! And he just recently started eating potatoes. But carrots, he will chow down on them if they are cooked, but if they are fresh, he won't touch them. I think if you try different things and don't give up, he will come around.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• They can be picky.just don't let them be.you aren't a short hand cook.if he won't eat the food then he doesn't east it.is stop with the babood
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2011