Hairdressers - What does overlay mean?

I got my hair cut recently and the hairdresser commented on my hair color. She said it had overlay (obviously not a good thing). I have no clue what it means and so don't know how to not do it again.

Asked by admckenzie at 10:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Just do the roots, don't run the color through the rest of it,, you can get your color done at a school for almost as cheap as you can do it at home,, store brand hair color usually has high ammonia (or something like it if it says ammonia free) really harsh on the hair, if you must color at home, then just do the roots, the shampoo will be enough to freshen the ends,,,,,I am proud of you for wearing a wig, my mother has female pattern baldness, and when I do her hair it makes me crazy that she wants this kind of comb over thing,, you can't tell the difference from real or wig, with some of the ones they have out now!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• she meant you had colored over colored-hair, and there was a build-up of color...probably. i've never used that term, but i get what she meant. do you do home color? is the color applied needlessly to the shaft and ends every time you do your new-growth? with darker colors, it will tend to get take on a matte, dull look, maybe even a darker tone..flat and lifeless, notwithstanding the condition of the hair would be in the negative.
    kinda curious about your haircoloring technique now..
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It means when you put on color, and then when you color it again, you put new color over the old, it is really hard on your hair, and when you overlap the color, you get damage, as well as lines in the hair,,,imagine that you put bleach in every load of laundry you did everytime, it would end up damaging the fiber in the clothes, this is what overlapping haircolor does to hair, hope I helped, but just so you know you can help the damage by getting a chemistry system, or a in salon treatment! If you use good products you can reverse some of the damage!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I put the color on the gray roots then wait and add the rest of the color to the other hair. So y'all are saying this is wrong? I have no idea how else to do it. My hair is falling out (genetic thing) so I don't waste the money to go to a salon. I have wigs for when I go out but for my own self esteem I put something on it for when I have to look in the mirror. What can I do at home differenlty when applying more color to not damage my hair anymore?

Comment by admckenzie (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thank you. It's devastating on self esteem. As a single old woman it's hard to show any confidence (men love women with confidence) when my hair is all falling out but you are right. My sister bought me a wig and no one seems to know...or they are being very polite.

Comment by admckenzie (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011