Higher taxes?

I was wondering. Can someone who makes only 15,000 a year get back 7,000 on their taxes? I was just wondering because a lady told me she did. I make more than double that and got back 5,000. Did I get screwed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• If that was her only income, she probably did get that much back and only paid about half of that in. EIC baby. The IRS's version of welfare.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• no you didn't get "screwed" there are so many factors to contribute to tax credits (which is where she fell in the tax brackets). Everyone is different, head of household, any retirement savings, how many children, EIC.. you name it... way too many factors to even worry about what other people get on their return.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 10:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• it depends on how many deductables and write offs she had. depends how many children she has and maybe she is the head of household and is claiming someone else as a dependent too
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It is almost pointless to compare two different people's taxes. Like camilletnt pointed out, there are just way too many things that go into it- and everyone's situation are just so different.

But I don't think you got screwed.

One way to look at it- if she made $15,000 a year and paid in $7,000 in taxes, filed a return, and got it all back- that doesn't mean that you got screwed with your $5000 tax return. It just means that you didn't over pay your taxes by as much as she did.

To be fair though she may qualify for more credits than you do. But I wouldn't stress about it too much.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would wonder about what she said. there is no way you would have half of your income taken out in taxes. Yes there are tax credits too but still that seems like an awfully large refund for that amount of money earned.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Not nessessarily. She may have just gotten more back because they took too much out in taxes to begin with.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• usually the more you make the less you get back..and it also depends on HOW you file.
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 1:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You are right Candi! I found out that since she made only 15,000, she got back more because of EITC. I found out with H&R block Tax Calculator. I guess they figured that if you made more, you don't need it as much as someone who didn't make as much. I look at it this way. I officially got what she received and more because of my income. I guess I learned something.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2011