Toddler or twin bed?

My daughter will be 2 next week and I think it's about time to put her in a bed before she figures out how to climb out of her crib. I've caughter her almost out of it but she hasn't quite figured it out yet and I don't want her to get hurt. My husband's uncle owns a mattress store so if we were to buy her a twin bed, it would be the same price as a toddler bed. I just don't know how to transition her or how to make the bed safe. The whole point of moving her is so that she doesn't get hurt, but I don't want to put her in a twin bed just to have her fall out and get hurt anyways but I also don't want to have to buy a toddler bed just to have to buy a twin bed in a year...any suggestions? Also, if there is a website to help with toddler proofing...

(Side note: I want to get her a bed for her birthday:-) )

AutumnsMom31309

Asked by AutumnsMom31309 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD went to a toddler bed only b/c we had the crib that turned into a toddler bed. But she falls out of it all the time, she's 4 now and I just bought her a full size bed. I almost think it's better to get the twin bed right off and skip the middle bed. They have those side things you can put on so she can't fall off. GL
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• we put our 2 yr old in a toddler bed (princess of course) and she is 4 and still sleeps in it. So i dont see it as a waste of money cause next year my 1 yr old will use it.
    You could buy the side protection things (dont know what they are called) and put them on the twin bed probably babys r us or even walmart sells them
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 10:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If safety is your main concern go for the Toddler bed. They have railings so she can't roll out of bed and they're lower to the ground so they won't hurt themselves if they do manage to roll out. And you'll get at least 2-3 years of use out of it before you have to switch to a toddler bed.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Im getting ready to buy new beds for my boys and Im going to go with Twin beds bc they are going to end up in them before long and i dont see a point in buying a toddler bed when it wont be long and youll have to buy the other.. Plus you could just buy the things that go on the side to keep them from falling out
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My DD's both got twin beds when they turned 3.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• the toddler bed was a no-go for us...those mattresses are very uncomfortable which is why I think my sons wouldn't even sleep in there when it was a crib. we tried the toddler bed with no luck...just like the crib. so, we went out and got a twin bed and put the rails on it and he started sleeping through the night (finally)! the only thing we can think of is that the mattress was more comfortable. IDK...you'll just have to see what works best for you and your family. good luck!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Toddler bed
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 7:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The only reason we went with a toddler bed for our son was because the crib we had for him had been recalled and we had already transitioned it to a toddler bed. So, instead of buying a new mattress we just bought the toddler bed frame and kept the crib mattress in it. If you want to get a twin though and are worried about her falling out, you can put the bed against a wall and put one of those rails on the other side so she doesn't fall out. Or you can always just wait to put the bed on a frame and put the mattress and box spring on the floor. That way it isn't very far to fall, then when she gets older you can use the frame.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Pros for toddler bed

1) cheap because you can use the crib mattress
    2) most come with bars to avoid falling out of bed
    3) can still use crib sheets

Cons for toddler bed

1) it won't last very long
    2) crib mattresses are meant to prevent sids and they are not very comfy
    3) its hard for you to sit with or cuddle with your child at story time with the toddler bed and bars

I personally wish we just went straight to a full size bed and got rails for it.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'd do a twin, i have my 15 month old in a twin mattress on the floor with bed rails, works great
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2011