What would you do?

My future MIL was going to buy a car seat for me and my fiance but I told her that I wanted to get it. My fiance asked me what is the one I wanted so he could pick it up after work. Well tonight he told me that his mother said that she would get it for us. I know she is thinking now that she won. I really hope that she gets the one that I wanted. What would you do?

Valo446

Asked by Valo446 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• won what? She is buying a car seat for you. You won, really, you did.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Be grateful that she is caring enough to help out. As long as the carseat is safe, does it really matter if it is the one that you want?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• She is the type of person that likes to point when someone can't do something.
    Valo446

Comment by Valo446 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Car Seats are expensive- I'd pretty much take anything my MIL bought for me- even if I didn't like it. If it's not the one you wanted or isn't the safest one you can always exchange it?
    kcn333

Answer by kcn333 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Even if she's the type of person to point out when someone can't do something...just think positive. You KNOW what you can do and be grateful she is willing to help you out. Now, if she uses it against you later...just express how you thought it was out of the kindness of her heart. A gift, safe for the grandchild...thinking of the child's safety...not who can do what. You are taking care of things in your own way. Who cares how she thinks...its what you know that makes it worth it.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 10:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

_______________
    My mother can be the same way, but you need to realize that as long as your children have what they need, it really doesn't matter who bought it. When I was a single mom, my mother bought my son a lot of things. I let her even knowing she would point out to others what she did for him and me. You know what? I sucked it up because it allowed my son to have things he otherwise would not have had.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• takeit and say thank you
    dawnmichelle3

Answer by dawnmichelle3 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• make sure she gives your fiance the reciept that way if its not the one you want, you guys can always take it back and get what you want. But I get how you feel on this one
    jwhite83

Answer by jwhite83 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree with layh41407. All of my DDs grandparents have spoiled her. And my mom has her moments when she likes to point out what she has done for her. And yes I get frustrated, you just gotta grit your teeth and smile through it. What matters is that your child has what it needs, no matter who bought it.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'd let her get it and be grateful. If it's not the one that you want, explain to her your reasons for your choice and ask her if she minds if you exchange it. If it's for fit or security purposes, I see no problem in exchanging it. If it's just a matter of who will "win", I think you should examine your relationship with her.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2011