• In the Spotlight:

Should I let my newly 16 yr old daughter participate in "prom weekend" with her senior boyfriend? Several of her sophomore friends are being allowed to go!

We haven't been given exact details yet, but I'm pretty sure it would include an overnight trip.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• If it includes her being gone overnight, I don't think I'd allow her to go.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 11:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well, I don't have teens so I can't give much good advice, but it seems to me that refusing is going to cause a lot of hurt and rebellion. I think I would let her go, letting her know this is a really big responsibility you're allowing her to have and you expect her to be back by a certain curfew and not to get in any trouble. Give her a chance to prove herself, maybe?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well I can't tell you for sure based on the info but maybe let her go to the prom but make her come home right after
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I don't think you should if my mom would allowed me to do whatever my friends were allowed to do I would have been in serious trouble we were really good at hiding an pretended that we were goody goody and then when the s*&^ hit the fan the one who got burned only got a aww dude thats not good! and that was it.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Will there be an adult with her overnight? I'd be wary of an overnight trip. Otherwise, if she would be home that same night, I'd say why not.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think if you allow her a weekend of rebellion she will not feel the need to rebel in the rest of her regular life. However you would have to resolve yourself to the fact that she may rebel and do something uncharacteristic of herself. Your call.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If it's overnight then I say it's a no go.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Hmm, I don't have teens yet but my opinion would be that it would depend on how responsible she is. If she's mostly responsible and doesn't get in to too much trouble I would let her go but I would make sure she understood there are rules even though she is not with you and you expect her to follow them and if she doesn't there will be consequences and she will not be allowed to do anything like that again for a long time. Or if you're not comfortable with that if its an overnight then compromise and tell her that you're not ok with the overnight and let her know why but that she can go to the prom.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• overnight probably isn't a good idea.. boys can't be trusted. and you never know what your own children are capable of until something happens.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No no nope nada! Even if she is "responsible". Kids will be kids. She might be mad at you now but she will get over it. My parents were strict on my sister and I and I thank them for it daily now! We made our fair share of mistakes...don't get me wrong but it could have been alot worse! At my prom, my parents allowed us to come back to our house and have a few friends over (including my boyfriend) and spend the night watching movies, playing games, and hanging out. It was safe...they were there to make sure we weren't stupid...and we have a great time and actually remember it and not waking up the next morning hugging the potty. haha
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011