Tips for dealing with the Terrible 2's and Terrible 3's?

My son- I love him with all my heart- but holypasstheXanax- he's turned into a totally different person! The 2's weren't all that bad- I thought I lucked out and my son bypassed the whole- throw himself on the ground and scream at the top of his lungs phase. I was soooo WRONG. 

Which do you think is worse? Terrible 2's or Terrible 3's?

Anyone have any tips on dealing with the "Terrible" age?

kcn333

Asked by kcn333 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you find out let me know. OMG I feel your pain!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Advice #1 patience
    #2 Consistency in descipline
    #3 lots of love
    #4 more patience
    #5 a cocktail after he goes to bed
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I too found the 3's to be much worse then the 2's. At 2 he was just testing boundaries once in awhile, by 3 he had a mind of his own and watch out if you didn't agree! It got better towards the end, but then repeated itself at 4.5. Now he's 5 and very stubborn at times, but a good kid for sure. The only advice I have is to agree with leksismommy. LOTS of patience, consistency, and a set schedule that you vary from very very rarely. Make bedtime your friend, and then enjoy that cocktail!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Enjoying that cocktail now!
    kcn333

Comment by kcn333 (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I've found the 3s to be much harder than the 2s. Like you, I'd been lulled into a false sense of security when we got to 3 without much hassle. I think leksismommy's advice is right on (particularly the cocktail part). I've also realized that my son's behavior tanks when he gets bored or tired of the same activities. If I include something a bit different everyday (doesn't need to be anything complicated, maybe just a trip to the mall to walk around and see new things, a visit to the library, or even just a walk/run outside), the days go much better with fewer problems. I've found that I had to give up on timeouts. They got me no where (they seem to work better for my husband). Putting him in his room for afew minutes gives us both time to calm down and regroup away from one another. (He can't get out of his room since there's still a doorknob protector on the door.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I too have a little boy that is in the terrible 3 phase. I think 3 is WAY worse than 2! Along with turning 3 came this additude out of nowhere! I don't have all the answers, but when he throws a full blown fit at home, (usually over something quite silly) I usually put him in his room and tell him he can come out when he calms down. Before I started doing that, he would follow me around screaming at me. I refuse to listen to it, so I decided it would be better for everyone to calm down if he just throws his fit in his room. No audience and I don't hear it quite as loudly. Now he knows that he can come out when he has calmed down, and he calms down much quicker.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• take valium (just kidding). Ya, its a trying age. I hear what comes next is the fearsome fours. I find that more than ever I need a little Mommy time so I can be more patient. The one thing that helps me is to have organized activities to keep him going, play dough, baking, crafts and so on, gym class that keep his attention focused in a positive direction. Reading the answers too to see if I can get some good tips!
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Be patient, and come on here to vent. It will get better.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• omg my son is like that. he is a tornado, that screams about everything. He is just now starting to talk a little and it is so frustrating. He is on everything, trying to pull out outlet covers, screaming, dumping everything, my daughters never did this stuff. I run away but he turns into a complete love bug at night, when he is exhausted LOL I think its from being cooped up during the winter.
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 8:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2011