Did going back to college change the way things were around you?

College online or in the building...did going back change things in your relationship with your spouse...with your kids? Did you miss out on any milestones and feel a certain way? Did it change things career wise, with finances? Is it worth it if you haven't been to college in over 10 years?

I'm debating about going back. Childcare is expensive and I've got two that are still at home with me. I'd love the adult conversation. School was never my thing, but I'd like to find what I want to be when I grow up...finally. Hubby wants me to work, he wants me to do the SAHM thing TOO...so kinda feeling thrown in there with just the idea. Overwhelming and I don't want to miss out on my kids lives. Just need more pros than cons....

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 11:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in

• ~*Nope*~... been to college three times with four different majors... I went to actualy colleges, I don't trust online stuff to be legit, just being honest

Did nursing.. than I did Administrative Justice and Corrections... than MicroComputer Ops
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Look into child care at the school you're considering attending. Most community colleges and universities have daycares and preschools, often very good ones. I'd say try going back one class at a time, and ease into things. See how one class goes for a semester, then go from there. That's how I eased back in. Then you might even be able to schedule your class in the evening when your husband is home (or whatever's convenient for you guys). When I went back, DH was able to change his schedule at work to allow him to come in later 2 days a week so I could take a morning class, and be home in time for him to go to work
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i'm currently in schools after not being in school for about 4 years...to be honest its hard but in this bad economy you can not get anything decent without a degree so in the long run its worth it...depending on what school you go to you can take many classes on line but check if its accredited and recognized as a legit school
    bobbys4eva

Answer by bobbys4eva at 11:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Also, I agree with the PP about online classes- I don't trust them. I also am better able to focus in a classroom, and you'll get much more interaction that way. I'm still in school, and will be for awhile. A lot has changed in the 2 years since I went back, but school has only been a minor part of it. It's absolutely been worth it, and it will be worth it when I'm done. However, I also knew exactly what I wanted to do when I went back, and I haven't changed directions.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Go. It's well worth it. It changed my life and my children's life for the better. DH later became disabled, and it allowed me to support us all.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2011