How do I get my 4 and half year old daughter to give up her pacifier? HELP!

jenni-mom

Asked by jenni-mom at 11:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I posted this for another mom:

you can try talking to her about how she's a big girl now and that she doesn't need them anymore and that there are new babies that need them. then have her gather them all up, and put them in an envelope in the mailbox for the "paci-fairy" to come pick up and deliver to all the new babies. after she's in bed you can take the envelope and toss it, but when she gets up in the morning, have a little "thank you" gift in the mailbox for her from the "paci-fairy"
    retz

Answer by retz at 11:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Wow this is a tough one. Have you tried getting her to give it to the cashier at a store in exchange for a toy that she really wants? That might work. I have also heard of people cutting of the end until it keeps getting shorter and shorter and finally there is nothing left.
    carsonoliviamom

Answer by carsonoliviamom at 11:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We tied all the pacifiers to helium balloons and sent them up to the babies in heaven. :) (of course, we know a couple of babies in heaven, so that helped).

I've also heard that snipping the tips off makes them 'unsuckable' and the child will give it up more easily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If all else fails gather them all up and get rid of them take them away from the house to throw them away or you will give in. Tell your child that the babies needed them and leave it at that. Don't baby them to much because they feed on your emotions. It may be a rough day or two but then it will all be fine. That is what i did with my daughter and she is now almost 13 years old a straight A honor student who thrives in life. So please dont think doing these things like this will damage your child for life because it just isnt true. I think most times people dont take things like this away because it is to much work and misery for them when in the end the longer you wait the harder it will be for everyone.....
    mrsmiddlebrooks

Answer by mrsmiddlebrooks at 11:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Just throw them away..It may be difficult to deal with at first, but she will get over it. 4 years is too old to have a pacifier, it's not good for her teeth....I am a dental hygenist
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• after potty training was over my son still wanted the security of wearing a pull-ups. i told him no only babies were pull-ups. are baby or big boy like your brothers. also i hid all the pull-ups. so finally he gave up and just put his big boy undies on.
    6lilprinces

Answer by 6lilprinces at 11:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• THIS BOTHERS ME SO BAD WHEN I SEE IT IN A STORE. JUST DONT GIVE IT TO HER ANYMORE. SHE WILL CRY AND SCREAM AND BE A BRAT MAYBE EVEN THROW UP. BUT IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD FOR THERE TEETH!!!!
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My boy was 4, and what I did with him is I told him if he wanted he pacifier he would have sat on he bed, because it is ONLY for bed, will that did not take long because he did not want to stay on his bed. Then we stated when he got out of bed he had to put it under he pillow. It did not take long...
    bonniecparsons

Answer by bonniecparsons at 11:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I suggest tying them all to helium balloons as well go out side in a clear area so as to not get caught on trees or electric lines and send them to the babies in Heaven. I have 6 babies in heaven! It will be rough ride at first but she and you will get through it. Best of luck!
    tngal

Answer by tngal at 11:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• if you just take it away you will probably be sorry in the end. if she feels she still need it then she feels she has a need. its a security thing. just explain she can have it only in the car or her bed and she will give it up gradually. my youngest had this same issue and it didnt take too long since she wanted out of the car and the bed more than she wanted the paci
    yathere

Answer by yathere at 11:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2008