THE COST OF COLLEGE TODAY

WILL YOU SEND YOUR CHILD TO COLLEGE OR COMMUNITY COLLEGE? IF MY CHILD DOESN'T GET A FULL RIDE IN HIS SPORT AND SCHOLARSHIPS, HE MIGHT HAVE TO OPT FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGE AND TRANSFER LATER. THE MAD RUSH IN GETTING INTO A GREAT, EXPENSIVE COLLEGE IS JUST NOT APPEALING ANYMORE. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 11:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i go to a cuny school and because of financial aid i am able to attend .to be honest as long as the education i receive is good..because of the lack of scholarships given his is my only option
    bobbys4eva

Answer by bobbys4eva at 11:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'm a student, and I can't imagine wasting money on general education at the university level. I don't know for sure what the plan will be for DS, but he's only 2, so we have some time. I don't think there's anything wrong with knocking out everything you can at a community college and transferring later. The cost difference is huge!! We will have far less student loan debt later on.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well I went to university for 4 yrs. waste of time. I will encourage my children to go to a 2 yr. trade school where they could get a job coming out instead of floundering around with a useless degree. I will also encourage community college. I like I will pay some of what community college would cost and if they want to go elsewhere then they need to figure out how to do that.
    1boy1girlmama

Answer by 1boy1girlmama at 11:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I want my son to go to college but (honestly) I dont even worry about it. It's like "that's what pell grants are for". By that point I would have saved money for the emergencies that may occur but I don't expect to pay for my son's college.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 11:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The mad rush has been halted because of the tight academic requirements that those appealing colleges have The best thing a young parent can do today is buy prepaid college and freeze their tuition.

Answer by older at 8:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My kids will go to a university for all 4/5 years. I want them to have the full "college experience" that I had - living in the dorm, eating ramen noodles, etc. Even if they go to NC State which is around the corner from my house, they will live on campus instead of here. I think it helps them grow up to be out on their own. And I've been to both a community college (recently) and a university (when I was 17-21) - there was a HUGE difference in the expectations. I can't imagine having gone to a community college first and thinking that was the same level of work I would have been expected to maintain at a university - and that was at a well respected community college!

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• my son will be going to community college for 2 years and then transfer in to a University.

One thing we ALL need to remember is you can get a loan for college, but you can't get a loan for retirement. Retirement first, then college.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My daughter attends a high school where graduates receive an average of $28,000 in scholarships; she should graduate with a year of college credits. We have enough saved to cover the other two years, if necessary.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My sons (2 in college and 2 who have graduated) got grants and scholarships for their college educations, we didn't pay for their educations. We also feel that adults who attend college should attend college away from home and start their journey to becoming independent. Our sons only came home/come home on school breaks. It's helped them to become the men that they are :-) The older 2 both had jobs within a month of graduating from college and were in to their own apartments a month after that and I am sure that the other 2 will eb the same way. Adult males living with mom and dad is a ridiculous concept to my sons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My oldest starts college this fall. We have the $ to pay 100% for both our children and plan on doing so; we started saving years ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2011