DID YOU MAKE GOOD ON YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE?

YOU GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE. DID YOU GET INTO YOUR PROFESSION, AT ALL? OR DID YOU TAKE SOMETHING, ANYTHING, JUST TO HAVE A JOB? OR DID YOU JUST GET MARRIED AND SAID "f" IT. WHAT ABOUT YOUR HUBBY?

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 11:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in

• Working in my profession (lucky enough to find a job) and going back for my masters!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Nope. 20k in debt and not a lot to show for it. College was a total waste of time.
    1boy1girlmama

Answer by 1boy1girlmama at 11:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• ~*Nope*~... I first took nursing... didn't become a nurse... than did Administrative Justice and Corrections, but I'mnot working in a prison nor am I a police woman... and I than tool microcomputer operation...

i AMA SAHM... and this is harder than anything I went to school for!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Nope. I chose to be a sahm. I never realized quite how important it would be too me until I became a mom. However, it's always great to have something to fall back on. It's kinda like insurance. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Nope. I have my B.S. in Business Administration and I'm a legal transcriptionist, which I didn't need the degree for. However, I do get to work from home so even though I'm 20K in debt I'm able to stay home with my kids and make decent money so I feel I am very lucky!
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My husband and I talk about this all the time. Together we know of TWO people out of how many hundreds we know, that are using the degree they earned. And they are in the medical field, which seems to be the one field that people with degrees there actually use them. I know everyone thinks college is as necessary now as a high school diploma used to be, but we think they are total wastes of money. We have countless friends who have paid for and are still paying for college years and years later. Meanwhile, he sells cars, I stay home, and he makes more than all of these people who have unused degrees. I went to college for 3 1/2 years (thankfully never went into debt for that) and people ask me all the time if I regret leaving before I finished. I don't. I met my husband because I left, and nothing could be better than that. I couldn't care less about having a degree, and I would be just another person not using it.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• One more thing, some say it isn't wise for me not to have something to fall back on in case something happens to my husband. We do. It's called lots of life insurance.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I earned a BA in Print Communications. I took a job in marketing right out of college and have stayed within the field for the last 17 years. I've worked full-time. I've worked as a freelance writer. I currently work part-time in a public relations firm. So yes, I use my degree. My college roommate earned the same degree and she's running the public relations dept for a major hospital in the Philadelphia area.

My DH graduated with a degree in Religion and Philosophy. I have no clue what he was thinking. ;) He's grown himself a career in procurement.

I've got friends that put their degrees to use - men and women. I have friends that did not. Even behind my degree work, college gave me an invaluable set of skills that I use on the job and in life every day. I don't regret the choice to go and stay through the end for a second. I encourage my kids to take advantage of it too when the time comes
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Yes, I use my bachelors and masters degrees in my field. My husband works in a field related to his bachelors. We both work in IT. I studied business analysis and information systems, and my husband studied math and computer science.

Both of my college roommates are also working in fields for their degrees. One is a veterinarian with two related bachelors degrees and a DVM; the other majored in biochemistry and is a high school science teacher.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have my B.S in special education, and up until bed rest I subbed for a local district. I'm going back to get my masters in the fall in early childhood special ed. I'll work in early intervention (if it still exists) after I complete my masters program.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011