I want to know when is the best time to start teaching my son sign language? Has anyone done it with their children?

sign language

amsweeney

Asked by amsweeney at 12:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby sign or actual ASL? Baby sign you start from day one if possible, 6months is the average time people start. Actual ASL you can also start that early but start with simple signs.
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I did. As Crystal says, there are two types - "Baby sign" is mostly made up motions that can be easier for a baby to do. "ASL" is the official sign language. With either, the baby probably won't do the sign "correctly". That's just fine. He won't say his first words correctly either (not for years!) and you'll still understand him.

I used the "My Baby Can Talk" video series. They were very easy for me to learn from and they kept my daughter's attention fairly well. She is 27 months now and still likes to watch them sometimes and uses the signs when she needs an extra boost to make herself understood.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• As soon as you want to. The earlier the better, it will take time though. Baby Einstein makes a sign language video that my son loved.
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 2:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• We started teaching ASL immediately. I'm fluent so I've been signing to her and speaking to her since the day she was born.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008