How many of you moms easily breast fed your babies after having an epidural during labor?

Mskixxalot

Asked by Mskixxalot at 11:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I exclusively breast fed, but it took 6 weeks to get things going smoothly. We had a really complicated labor, and I'm sure that contributed to our breastfeeding challenges. Fortunately, we were able to work through them, and we nursed well for 18 1/2 months.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• it took a few weeks to really get going after mine and then my son decided at about a month that he didn't want me anymore he wanted a bottle . I don't think that was because of the epidural though I think that was just him.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• epidural, spinal and all c sections: breastfeeding can be a success! Don't give up! xo

CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• With DD, I had a hard time starting. I'd actually given up, I was a first time mom with NO knowledge of nursing. When we were discharged, we were doing 100% formula. Didn't even think of trying until she was 5 days old, and she nursed successfully the first try. We went on to EBF with no problems after that first week.
    With DS, we only had a little trouble the first day. It just took a few hours to get started. I had already nursed a child for over a year, and learned quite a bit during that time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I had an epidural with two of my three and neither of the two had any problems what so ever. I nursed exclusively from birth to well past a year with my second baby and I am at one year right now with my third baby.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I honestly have never heard of an epi having any effect on breastfeeding. I have birthed two children and had one with both pregnancys and nursed minutes after birth and continued untill my son selfweened at 13 months and my daughter just turned 10 months and still nursing. My back hurts every once in a while since my first was born but I think thats all apart of motherhood. Best of luck and you can make anything happen as long as your dettermined :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I never really got the hang of it. But it wasn't too hard to do.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I had an epi with all three of my boys and my youngest was a c/s, all bf'd successfully.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I had 2 epis and except for the soreness and getting comfortable with it, I had no problems BFing either one of the,
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• In study, they have found that babies born to mothers who had epidurals can have trouble latching and the effect is directly correlated to the length of time mom had the epidural before baby was born. Less than two hours and there was no effect, after that, the longer the epi was in, the more trouble/longer it would take to get baby latched.

I had a epi with my first, but I was fully dilated about 10 minutes later and after waiting 45 minutes for the doctor, he was born well within 2 hours of me getting it. So... he latched perfectly from birth, but based on the study, that was to be expected.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2011