When to spoon feed rice?

My son will be 4 months on November 31st. When should I start to spoon feed him rice. He has rice in all of his bottles now because he has acid reflux.

amsweeney

Asked by amsweeney at 1:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You can start giving them solids at 4-6 months. It depends on if they are ready though. Check and see if your baby can keep his head up by himself. See if his tongue has the reflex to push the food out. If he doesn't he should be ready. Newborns often push their tongue out as a reflex for choking or something. See if he is opening his mouth for the food also.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I know everyone starts at different times with the spoon feeding but, I started my daughter at 3 1/2 months. She didn't get it at first but after the 3 rd week of trying a little every night she got it!!! She is a little chow hound now at 9 months! I gave her a huge variety of foods and she will eat everything now. You know your child the best so, I would think when you feel he is ready. Just don't get frustrated it takes a little bit for the "backwards tongue" to go away!! And if he's not crazy about plain rice try adding a little fruit to it. My doctor told me to only introduce new foods a week at a time to watch for allergic reactions.
    RedneckMommy88

Answer by RedneckMommy88 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2008