I 'caught' my 3 y/o DD 'touching herself'...is this normal?

She was laying on my bed watching TV...I didn't say anything, just acted like I didn't notice. I don't want to jump her about it, she's only three, but it still concerns me a little. Should I be concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• NOPE ITS CALLED DICOVERY! DOCTORS ADVISE THAT YOU DONT TELL THEM ITS BAD BECAUSE THEN THEY'LL BE SCARED OF THEMSELVES!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No, it's just kids exploring themselves, most kids do it at some point and as long as you tell her that it's not bad but that she should keep it private then it'll be fine.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 1:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My daughter is al bundy I swear she always has her hands down her pants. Its totally normal :-).
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It's normal. Usually self exploration starts around the potty training age. They're just trying to figure out what is down there and what it's used for.
    Gwyn_meg

Answer by Gwyn_meg at 1:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Very, very normal.
    Also remember that "the talk" is not a one time event in puberty. Go ahead and talk to her. Talk about how it can feel good to do that but it is something that should be done in private. Talk about how she needs to wash her hands afterwards - just like when she uses the potty. Talk about good touches and bad.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• totally normal. Just tell her she needs to do that in private.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 2:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2008