I'm worried about the weight of my unborn baby

I'm due on 2/22/11 & my doctor says my baby only ways 4.9 pounds. I've always been small myself & my 1st child weighed 5.6 pounds. The doctor wants to pop my water on that date & deliver by c- section like my first child. My baby has only gained a ounce in 3 weeks. However he is very active at all times & my weight gain is 22pds in total. Could the doctor be wrong & should I be so worried. My 10 year is healthy & hasn't any health issues, but since he told me my baby's weight I've been really stressed out! Ive been told that any baby born under 5pds can be dangerous, is this true. Any advice would be appreciated, thank-you. I had a ceserian with my son due to complications, pelvic injury. So I expected that part, it's the weight I'm being told that has me so worried, & whether or not I can give him more time to gain it. My water broke with my son, I just never dilated. Also just how often there incorrect about the weight after a ultrasound?There rupturing the water due to insurance reasons, I don't want to have the baby where my insurance says I have to, to have c-section. It can only happen at the hospital I want if it's under those circumstances... I was a 10pd baby & most of my family were born large, but I'm only 105pds normally & none of my family grew to be big either. The only odd ball is my 10 year old who stands 3 inches taller then his classmates & out weighs them. He's not over weight , just a big kid...

Racheal7879

Asked by Racheal7879 at 1:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If you are small and your family is small, then I wouldn't worry unless the doc tells you to worry.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Maybe you should ask your mom and other women in your family how much did you weight when you were born and also ask for a second opinion because some doctors are just fans of doing c sections because is so much easy on them and they can plan for it instead of you water breaking and ruining their dinner plans.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't worry to much.. my doctor told me my son was under 5lbs when I went into labor, tried to stop the labor because she said it was too soon, he decided he was being born anyway, and was born a healthy 7lbs 9 oz... The number they give you is an estimate, not written in stone..
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 2:00 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Yes the doctor could be wrong, sure.
    Weight estimates are guesses, but if you wait to birth spontaneously you can allow baby a little more opportunity to get what is needed.
    Do you need a cesarean? Or to rupture the water?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• They can be VERY off with weight guesses.

My friend was told her baby was almost 9 pounds and her doctor did a c-section because "the baby was too big" (bull crap reason by the way) and when he was born he was 6 POUNDS! 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not 9....6! Teeny tiny little thing! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pointless c-section and pointless early delivery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Why would they rupture your water if they are going to do a c-section?

And is a VBAC not an option?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• get a second opinion before you go and do anything...
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 7:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I would think another u/s would be in order. You might be off by a month. You could have had a miscarriage and then gotten pregnant again. Or maybe the U/S operator was new. Ask for the most experienced one and have it redone. Check all the bone lengths not just overall weight. Plus how is your fundal height and weight gain and such?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• you have gained an okay amt of weight and the doctors are never 100 percent correct on the weight because sometimes the amniotic fluid can take up some of the weight..you still have a week and he could gain some weight then...make sure its what you want for your baby to be born there because if you are having doubts get a second opinion..its your body and your baby so its totally your decision..but if your doctor didnt seem concerned about your babys weight then do not give it too much thought because if he thought something was wrong with it he would have told you they dont ever sugarcoat their thoughts on that
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011