3 Months old and DOESNT SLEEP AT ALL!!!!

He is 3 months an we have days where he goes 16 hrs without sleepig more then myb 3 hrs...This cant b healthy. He looks so tired but doesnt sleep....IDK what to do anymore.

MaMaTreZZa

Asked by MaMaTreZZa at 2:26 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you had his ears checked? If a baby has fluid in the ears, the pressure builds up even more when they lay down. My youngest son was what doctor's call "asymptomatic". It means that even though they're hurting or uncomfortable, they won't have any outward symptoms. If you get his ears checked and there's no fluid in them, ask your pediatrician if he might be uncomfortable in some other way. If nothing checks out to be wrong with him healthwise, hang in there...sometimes newborns don't establish their sleeping patterns until they're 6 months old or older.

Good luck and congratulations on you new baby son!

Karen
    wifedoll

Answer by wifedoll at 3:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree with going to the doc for a checkup. He may have some other underlying problem...for instance, my son had a very sore spot in his neck from his birth. He would constantly lean his head to one side to compensate. After we found out the problem, we started massaging it, and he slept better. He should sleep more than he's sleeping now, but my son also is one of those who doesn't sleep much. Even now (2 years almost) he frequently only sleeps 6 hrs at night. He is very bright, and loves to be stimulated with new things and ideas. It could be that you have a baby who needs lots of stimulation because he's a bright child...go get a check up for him, and good luck.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 4:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Make sure you have a consisitent way to put him down for naps and bedtime. I assume you know when he is showing signs of being tired and needs a nap. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same.   Diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. Not all of these but what works for you.  When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'm a strong believer that if a baby is not sleeping they are uncomfortable they will not sleep. Is the baby cranky during the day ? Does he seem to be in pain. Maybe colic, reflux? I would go to the doc for sure!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011