Should I be concerned that my 30 year old husband prefers to hang out with 21 ish year olds?

My husband works with a mixed age crowd in a large company, but alot of his co-workers he works side-by-side with are young, so of course, they are going to interact, have a few beers after work, etc. No biggie. But, it just seems lately that almost all his closest friends are barely over 21. His best guy friend is just 21. He is mature for his age, don't get me wrong. All his friends are good people, I've met them. My only concern is why he needs to find close friendships in such young people. I have a friend who's 22 and we'll meet up for drinks and such, but my good friends are all around my age. And, I'm not trying to a an "ageist" or anything, I don't think I'm better than a person 10 years younger than me, but 21 and no family and 30 with a family is kind of a big difference. Plus, the good friends he's had for years that are our age, he doesn't really keep in contact with too often. And I know when you work with people every day you tend to form closer relationships than people you see less often, but I don't know. Maybe I'm being over the top about it. But I just kind of think it's weird. I honestly can say I feel a little uncomfortable when all his "crew" is over and I don't have a whole ton in common with them. 20's to 30s is a jump. So.... good, bad, ugly... comment away :)

workathome01

Asked by workathome01 at 2:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• Kinda similar what my hubby's going through. Our group of friends range from 19-26 and we're 29-30. Most are single and the ones that are married are swingers...and we're not. So, it's odd. I want married friends, but I also want married friends with kids...so I can talk about the gross stuff, not just have one or two things in common & make that a foundation. Hubby just wants people and right now this is the age group that are giving him the time of day. It's weird with him asking for advice from them since they haven't experienced lots of what hubby's going through, but I dunno. I tried to make friends with people around my age group & I just can't click as well either so I just do my own thing, but it's good to just have SOMEONE to talk to when ya need it. Hang in there. Maybe you can start making friends with couples and add him to your mix. Maybe he needs to start relating to his age group & not feel "too old."
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 3:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Maybe he hangs around them because he doesn't want to think of himself as old. Not that 30 is old lol. But you know what I mean. It's kinda like when you see a 40 year old mom hanging out with her teen daughter & teen daughter's friends to feel young again.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• We have both done it since we are a military family but once we saw how immature they are and we got irritated withthem. We just quit hanging out with them. It just got too dramatic.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2011