WTF!!!?

My husband and I had an argument and he hit me with his elbow right in front of our kids and now he went somewhere, in our ONLY car and now it's nearly midnite and I'm hetre alone w/ the kids....I'm so screwed.
What now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• Ladymomtraveler gave you all the questions you need to ask yourself. I'd take her advice if I were you. Violence of any kind should never be tolerated and you'll only be "screwed" if you allow him to "screw" you!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• 1) Has it ever happened before?
    2) Did he intentionally hit you, or did he do it on accident?
    3) What were the reactions from the kids?
    4) What do you want for yourself and your kids?
    5) Do you think it will happen again?
    6) Do you feel safe?

Only you can decide what you want to do. If he did it intentionally, you need to decide if you want to seek maritial counseling for the two of you. Fights escalate like this when two people are communicating AT each other instead of WITH each other. You both probably think you've said your side hundreds of times, and it's not getting through. Counseling could definitely help with that. You ALSO need to decide what you want to do about the intentional violence. Violence should not be tolerated, and you need to make it clear what your intentions will be if the actions ever occur again.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 4:26 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Just wait for his butt to come home but make sure the kids are in bed and try to get some rest yourself. Worry about what you plan on doing with your dh. You do not deserve to be treated this way. Have a long talk with yourself only you know what is best we moms here can only guess on what's best for you and the kids you need to do something soon. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• first, stay calm when he does return bc, he'll be aspecting a fight. Don't worry he'll be back and i know thats easier said than done. But, don't let him hit u again, if he gets by w/ it once he'll do again. xxxoooP
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 3:14 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Whether it's happened before or not, if he hit you (I'm guessing it wasn't accidental):

1. Call the police and report it (trust me, if you need this down the road it's good to have documented - I didn't have things formally documented).
    2. If he's been gone a long period of time, tell the police the car make/model.
    3. Talk to your kids about what they witnessed and that it's NOT ok to hit and that you and their dad are going to handle it however you are going to.

They will be scared if they saw this from their father. It will set many negative precedents in future emotions and behaviors if you don't discuss it with them right away.

Best wishes.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I would most definitely document it and then wait for him to come home. If you feel like you are in danger you need to call the police.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2011