Spin off--What would YOU do if you had to cut the federal deficit/balance the federal budget?

This is a spin off of the question that was asked about Democrats wanting to shut down the government. I can't see any reason why either party would want to shut down the government other than to quickly make a large impact on the budget.
That being said, what would you suggest to get our federal budget back in the black?

If you don't want to post suggestions, here are some ideas I've heard lately, you can feel free to comment on them:
-2 year pay freeze on federal civilian employees.
-raising allowed time in grade as well as overall rank requirements for retirements in the military
-freeze budget at last year's rate, no new programs, no upgrading old programs to incorporate new ideas (at least where I work, this one is already in effect by the way).

What else?

ladymomtraveler

Asked by ladymomtraveler at 5:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd cut the entire Department of Education and return education to the states where it belongs. Surely that would save a bit of money.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'd start cutting programs. I really have no clue how many stupid programs, grants and studies are done but from the past couple of years and seeing all the earmarks pushed thru, I think I could cut 100s of them. We know Obama invented over 200,000 new jobs and most were just fluff so when the "real" people lost their jobs through his policies it would not be noticed. Of course there are also old programs that are duplicated over the years and those that are outdated. There is much more that can be done but that would be the number 1 thing I'd do.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:40 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I know someone is going to say cut PA but if we do that at this time we wont be helping our country we will be hurting it more. We would have a ton of homeless people going hungry not to mention the over load of children being placed in CPS hands because there parents cant take care of them. And no one better say they shouldn't have had kids because at the time that they had kids they could have been well off but lost it all do to job losses.

So if i was going to cut stuff i would cut spending on government officials who all ways are getting raises. And those that we bailed out now need to start paying up...
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• tighten SSI disability quals
    raise the retirement age to at least 68
    tighten the Medicaid quals
    raise MDCR copays and deductibles
    Implement means testing for all MDCR and SS recipients
    Omit all unneccessary discretionary spending
    Reduce all federal pay to 2006 levels, until at least a 20% salary cut has been imposed, just like the private sectore endured
    Let recent new hires in the federal government under Obama go.
    Get rid of the Dept of Education and Energy
    Cut all farm subsidies
    Cut all funding to foreign countries
    Cut funding to special interest groups like NPR, PBS, planned parenthood etc
    Put every welfare recipient under a mandatory work program, cut the benefits, and overhaul the system as best as possible to avoid fraud and abuse. Welfare checks should be a bit uncomfortable, like having to go to work everyday at job you don't like.
    There's more, let's start the bashing.............
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Actually JewJew I don't know about the state you live in but here in Nebraska you have to volunteer and actively be seeking a job to get welfare. I think it is great because a lot of the people if they are hard workers will than get hired at the places they are volunteering.

I think all government employees that make 6 figures or more a year should have to pay into their own pensions. I do not think that tax payers should be paying for private jets. This would save money and help out the problems with TSA. I think that all publicly elected officials should be required to be in their seats and dealing with the country 90% of the time that they are in session and if they are not than we start docking their pay.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think all government employees that make 6 figures or more a year should have to pay into their own pensions

why not all of them.?
    they all need to pay

I have no idea how our welfare system works, but basically IMO applying for welfare should be like applying for a job.
    You go into said govt office, ask for assistance, list your skills, and start work the next day doing SOMETHING taxpayers would have paid for in the past like road repair, dead animal pickup, etc
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think all of them should pay, but I think it needs to start with the ones making the laws. If they started showing that they are not imune to all the cuts they start making people are not going to be as mad when the cuts are effecting them. They will still get pissy, but not as bad as it is now where we are all paying and the elected officals are still getting a free ride. Making the cuts start with police, firefighters, military, and teachers is not the place to start but the place to end.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Posted this here 2 years ago.  Don't really see much that needs changing, except they moved the search button and the damage is already done from the diesel spike,so it's too late for that one now.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1412735/How_I_d_fix_it

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• There are no jobs.
    Picking up animals and doing road repairs? Are you going to lay off the people who currently provide those services, or add on workers? I'm sure if the government were hiring for those positions, there would be plenty of applicants.
    ALL areas of the federal budget need to be trimmed. The legislature could be scaled back and work PT hours with restricted benefits, just like everyone else.
    Freeze government workers' pay for 2 years(or more)
    Eliminate programs like Medicare Advantage-a fluff, expensive, duplication of services.
    Raise revenue by increasing taxes on those making over $100 mil/year.
    Initiate tariffs on imports.
    Raise corporate tax rates for COs moving operations off source- give tax incentives for those COs that stay in the US and hire US workers-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Eliminate the IRS
    Sisteract