For ash wednesday what will you be giving up for christ for them fourty or so days

What will you and your family will be giving up for christ on ash wednesday for God to move on your family life.i will be doing my time in prayer and bible reading no facebooking or cafemom

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 6:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• nothing as I am Hindu, lol.. I will be fasting on March 3 for Shivaratri
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 6:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Absolutely nothing. I do not belong to or care about any religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'm Baptist and we don't celebrate Lent.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i've never participated. its not part of my 'relationship', and i don't believe it brings me closer to God. God is not a calendar, IMO.
    my dh, however, sometimes gives up certain things..but he always seems to rationalize them back into his daily life before Lent is over.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I haven't decided yet, I'm thinking of giving up TV this year. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• In following with out traditions and the advice of our family spiritual director, we are giving up meat, dairy, alcohol, and sex. (of course the babies will not be giving up anything till they are older).
    We will also be doing things like attending Mass on Friday mornings and volunteering with our local soup kitchen. My husband will do a poustinia, or time in the dessert, where he will abstain from all food and drink for 24 and be alone with scripture and God.
    We believe that Lent is a time of preparation for the most important feast of the year. By learning to say no to something we want we are practicing so that when we are tempted we can say no more easily to the evils in our lives.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i've never participated. its not part of my 'relationship', and i don't believe it brings me closer to God

Agreed, I was forced to give up enough as a child and I never understood why. Just because I can't watch tv or eat chicken doesn't mean I feel closer to god. I'm actually more cranky because I want my tv and chicken!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011