WYR: Rent or own your house?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 6:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in

• Buy, even if you don't plan to stay in the 1st home you buy it's an investment, with renting you have nothing to show for your money that is yours. Also most times a mortgage is about the same or less than rent anyway.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:40 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• We have done the whole buying thing but I prefer to rent for these stage in our lives.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• There are definitely pros and cons to both renting and owning, but at this stage in our lives, hubby and I are ready to buy a house.
    Jodi.Serrano

Answer by Jodi.Serrano at 7:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Own. Because after all those years of monthly payments you have something to show for it. If you rent you have nothing to show for it. Renting is good only if your situation is temporary, but if you are going to be some place for a long time, buy.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• rent
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• buy - build equity, tax benefit on interest, can customize as I want and now that it is paid off no monthly payment
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 7:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Frankly, in this real estate market renting is the best thing to do for us. The benefits (tax breaks) of owning don't outweigh the potential negative investment; our financial adviser said to wait before buying again. There are millions of people with homes worth less than they owe now - we've always owned a home, and are going to rent for two years or so until the market evens out.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• For me, own. I love owning my own home. I don't want a landlord telling me what I can and can't do with the place I live.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Buy! I'm so tired of renting :(
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Buy.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2011