Need some opinions (painting the ceiling of the kitchen)

We have a drop ceiling, when it was put in, the thought of the design apparently wasn't a thought.

The tiles are arranged like this

a very small outline (close to the wall) then 5 tiles on each end (half the size of the long tiles), There are 10 long tiles in the middle with a ceiling fan in the middle of that. My predicament is this.

The outer edge, and 10 small tiles are all painted a cream white, I have 10 large tiles that need to be painted still. Would it look right if I painted them brown (match a couple of the walls) the pattern would be like this (going from the left to right, it would be cream, brown brown, cream, with that pattern being carried out through the entire room. OR do I just paint all of them white and say forget it.

I'm wondering if the 10 tiles in the middle painted brown, and then the ends painted cream is going to look good. Thanks in advance ladies.

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 6:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Syphon, contrary to what you believe is true, adding a darker color adds depth, and makes the room appear larger.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I say go for it! The kitchen is the heart of the home, and white paint is cheap. You should enjoy being in there, and if all else fails you can always repaint.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Obby is absolutely correct!! It will add depth and the illusion will be that the darker part is higher than the lighter part....it will look good.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Hmmm...drop ceiling? So the ceiling is pretty low right? I would not paint it brown. I think that would make the ceiling seem even lower and like it's closing in. I'd definately go with a lighter uniform color.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Well ladies I want to say thank you, I went ahead and painted the tiles brown, with the thought that if I don't like it, i'll repaint it white. I wouldn't have done the entire ceiling dark because the Kitchen is small, but the colors I picked (wine and chocolate brown) contrast beautifully, and although the kitchen looks a little bit smaller it also feels homey and inviting. So far I want to put my bed in there and sleep (watch out hubby, this means our bedroom is going to be redone soon lol)
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 7:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'm glad it worked out - I was going to say go for it as well!! We have a tray ceiling in our dining room, and the top is painted a gorgeous wine color. The moldings are all white, then the walls are a mustard color. It sounds strange, but the colors are great. The center of the tray looks so much higher than the rest, and it's really only about 10" difference.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2011