Did you not accept a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD for your child?

I have met a lot of people who willingly accepted a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD for their child, and often chose to give medications soon after. I am highly resistant to the idea of giving a diagnosis to my child for a condition that I'm not convinced is accurate. Medications are 100% out of the question, even if at some point we accepted such a diagnosis.

I am curious to hear the other side. Who would not accept an ADD/ADHD diagnosis for their child? Who was involved in the decisions? What did you do to help your child in areas that were problematic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well you have to decide what's more important: You're pride and fear or you're child's mental health?

Get a 2nd, even 3rd opinion, but if they all come to the same conclusion, its not going to hurt anything to have it taken care of. ADHD is not deadly or life halting. Many people have it and live perfectly normal lives. It effects everyone different. Everyone.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I don't have any children diagnosed with that but I will say that I think society is quick to label kkids with a disorder or disease when they think they aren't acting like what they want which is a mini adult. I'm not saying that every kid diagnosed with that doesn't have an issue , but it sure seems out of control how fast a teacher or dr will say a kid needs drugs. I think I would homeschool before I would put my kid on medications that come with harmful side effects.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I refused to have the teachers tell me my son is ADD for 2 years. I changed his diet and voila....he is just fine. Imagine that. I also started working with him in a different way with his homework. He may have ADD but you do not always have to medicate.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I completely agree with you, you do not medicate children unless it's an extreme case, such as suicide and even then I think that extreme thought should be given to the case before medication is used. Society is so quick to label and medicate these days and no, Zoeyis, medication CAN be harmful in any situation. Relying upon it is dangerous and would you want your child to lose their personality? As I have known some children to. I disagreed with an ADHD diagnosis of my child and a year later he's absolutely fine, turns out it was just a 'phase'. There are many things you can do to help your child, diet-wise, attention wise, teaching wise. You'll find a way! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• it would depend on two things: the child's age and the severity of it.

sometimes i wonder if my 4 year old has an attention disorder. but imo she is too young to be evaluated and i certainly would not give her meds at such a young age. if she were older, however, and it was so bad that it was affecting her ability to concentrate at school or in other important daily tasks, i would strongly consider medications if necessary. if it wasnt bad and she was still able to focus on important tasks, but showing some signs of it, i would probably research non-medicating ways of helping her. i know sometimes diet can play a role.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:27 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• "or you're child's mental health"

ADD is not a mental problem.

I have never taken my DD to get tested, but i am pretty sure she has it. She is not hyper at all, quite the opposite actually. But, man...she CANNOT focus! She is super smart tho. When doing homework, i practically have to walk her through the whole thing because she just cannot stay on task. Her mind is NOT where it's supposed to be & getting it to where it is supposed to be can be hard. I NEVER EVER thought of medicating her. But, i am reconsidering it BECAUSE, she does not test well, and that is not fare to her. Sure, while we are home we can help them with every thing. But, what about in school? She is getting bad grades on tests she is educated on & knows well because she cannot focus while she is taking them. I am now wondering if i should medicate her on these days she has tests. When your kid starts doing bad in school, it really makes you think hard.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I was a Child who"had ADHD" you know couldn't keep still in class,ect. I was under stimulated,people.Today I am absolutly thriving.I never took meds for my condition because back then they called it a "behavioral problem" and I can be thankful for that.If they would have put a name to it I may have been medicated too ,along with the thousands of kid's who are today. I do not agree with giving med's unless there is no other option. These kid's need stimulation! A large number of children with ADHD are highly intelligent and sensitive.If you take this into consideration surely as a mom you can find a way to make everyone happy.I would read all the side affects to the meds too before putting them into my child's body. World Peace and Love to All!
    Mommy1234321

Answer by Mommy1234321 at 7:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• "I will say that I think society is quick to label kkids with a disorder or disease when they think they aren't acting like what they want which is a mini adult"

ADD is not fake, it's real. And, not being able to focus has nothing to do with adults wanting children to act like adults. They just want them to focus. There is truth to this. But, being an adult with ADD & being a child who was never medicated for it.....i can say that at times i wish i was medicated when i was younger. I was so smart & would have done so much better in school had i been able to focus even just a tad more. I have Ritalin now, i don't use it. I'll pop one if my attention is fully needed for something real important. They really help me focus. I would never take it daily though.I only use if i know i need it. I took one a month ago when i attended a lecture.

I think lack of omega 3's in kids diets are what is causing all this ADD.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Zoey I never pulled him from school. I just work with him when doing homework differently.

Guess I should have stated that more clearly.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• "Studies have shown that the physiology of those with ADD differs from that of those who do not have the disorder . The area of the brain that controls impulsiveness is smaller in those affected with ADD. PET scans reveal that boys with ADD have much higher levels of blood flow in their brains than their non-ADD peers when tasks involving thinking were being performed, and lower blood flow the rest of the time. Researchers found that children with ADD had considerably lower levels of key fatty acids, such as omega-3, in their bloodstream. This lack of fatty acids has been linked with memory loss, temper tantrums, sleep disturbances, hyperactivity, and learning difficulties"

If you completely deny your child's possible diagnosis, it could harm him in the future. You don't NEED to medicate, but you do need to be aware & not deny the possibility. Parents who are more aware are more able to help.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2011