Spinoff: what does the word "deployment" mean to you?

does it mean going to war to put one's life in danger and endanger the lives of enemy citizens of that country?

im asking because in a question asked yesterday "would you be proud if your child grew up to join the army" it seemed a couple people associated the army with violence and death, specifically deployments.

i dont expect people who have never known anyone or personally been in the military to know much about how it works, so im not bashing. my husband was in the army for 4 years and went through a 15 month deployment (in the frontlines to be specific, he was a 'fister' lol) so i guess the topic of army/military/deployments is somewhat soft for me.

so, what do you think deployment entails? didnt know where to put this btw. if you can think of a better category, please recategorize it for me! thanks

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• dh is navy, they deploy on ships all the time during sea duty. they also go unaccompanied (deployed) to remote places
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 7:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My husband was an infantryman in the Army for 8 years (4 active, 4 reserves) so I know all too well what deployments are. My husband has been called a rapist, baby killer, etc. What these people don't know is that my husband saved many of the civilian's lives while he was in Bosnia and Iraq. It's okay though he didn't do it for the glory and there is no reasoning with these close minded people.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• This is the dictionary definition of deployment:

1. to adopt or cause to adopt a battle formation, esp from a narrow front formation
    2. ( tr ) to redistribute (forces) to or within a given area
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It just means that somebody is being sent somewhere to me.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• thanks hotmama. but i meant what the word means to you. does it mean violence/death or something else? it is basically the movement of forces within an operational area. those forces include all branches of the military, and each branch works as a network together to make decisions in times of war. some people work as the 'brains' of the operation and never leave the FOB and others work as the hands of the operation and are put in the middle of the action.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2011