Weighing pros and cons of trying to BF again

Ok my dilemma I would kind of like to try it again but it just seems illogical.
Pro:
Get mother and mother in law etc... off my back

cheaper makes husband happier

Get WIC off my back

Would kind of like to experience successful nursing experience for at least 4 months.

Con:
overactive letdown (painful for me and baby)

unresponsive overproduction syndrome (horribly painful for me and baby)

Allergies that are unresponsive to elimination diet

Attempt at elimination diet resulted in 30 lbs of weight loss including quite a bit of muscle(Living on Bananas,Rice and Applesauce cause they were the only things in the house that did not contain milk/soy/gluten)

Horrible reflux

Postpartum psychosis

Aggrivates PTSD from sexual assault(pain plus sexual body parts just does not work for me)

and last but not least it took hours to feed him and then between the allergies and the reflux he would just lose it all in my lap.

Am I an idiot for even considering trying again?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 7:46 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• no your not an idiot. do what makes you happy. and as for wic this is your child not theirs and you need to let them know that. they tried to tell me all the time what to do with my child and it ticked me off she is healthy happy and well fed and i told them that. now when i go for an appt. it takes about 20 min. tops they just want to get me the hell out of there.lol good luck and do what you feel right for you and baby
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My breasts (or brain, whatever) failed me first time round and it contributed to my PND feeling like a failure. There's SO much pressure to BF, and I did WANT to, but I really really couldn't and i felt like I was letting everyone down. But at the end of the day, do they reeeally care like you do? I'm darned if I'm going to listen to ANYone else except me this time, I am formula feeding full stop. Frankly, it's nobody's business but your what you do, even your husband, (until he can lactate and share the burden, he does not have a say as great as yours!) Yes the money part is all well and good, but if your wellbeing is affected, you can't buy that back. Do what is best for YOU - formula fed babies grow up healthy too!
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 8:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'd post this in the Breastfeeding Moms group, they might have more ideas to help figure out what the problem is, and if it's something you can work toward fixing, and nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Is it possible to use a pump to deal with the overactive letdown and pain? That is all I can think of that MIGHT help. How long did you breastfeed the last time? Were the allergies yours, or baby's? I had to cut all dairy out of my diet early on, but was able to gradually work it back in. Some things might go away after time, but it will take time. I don't think you are 'an idiot' for considering to try to breastfeed again. Maybe this time will be different, and you won't know until you try. I hope it all works out for you. I know how difficult it can be. Good luck!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Tried pumping and it didn't work. I did it for 2 months last time and the allergies were my son's he was born with them.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Sounds like a lot more cons than pros. Here is the con that concerns me postpartum psychosis, if you are taking anything to deal with the issues after pregnancy and you stop taking them so you can breastfeed will you be ok ?
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Do what you want and what you can cope with remember happy mom=happy baby!
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about anyone else but what you are confterable with. Forget abotu your MIL, Husband and WIC. They aren't there you are.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2011