Hot tub and pregnancy

Now, don't go off and say that you can NEVER get in it when pregnant because that isn't entirely accurate.

What are the risks if I am only in it for a couple of minutes?
Won't my body know when I need to get out? It does when I am not pregnant. After about 10 minutes in 101 water, I am ready to get out.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• There have been increased linked birth defects with pregnant women and hot tubs that are 101 and higher.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• How to reduce the risk if you choose to use a hot tub:

Although the Association does not recommend using hot tubs during pregnancy, here are some steps you can take to reduce any risk:

* Re-program your hot tub to maintain a lower temperature.
    * Limit time in a hot tub to 10 minutes or less.
    * Monitor the temperature of the water by dipping a thermometer in the hot tub.
    * Monitor your body temperature to avoid overheating.
    * Pay attention to warning signs such as becoming uncomfortable or if you stop sweating.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• not sure I am pregnant with my third and I have never been in a hot tub with either pregnancy
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• According to my midwife and everything I have read as long as you are not raising your core temperature above 104 for more then 15 minutes then things are fine. I loved my hot tub while pregnant with both kids and at 5.5 and 3.5 years old they are both perfectly happy, healthy, ,intelligent children. That being said it was a hot tub in OUR house that we could monitor and we kept it below 100 degrees and I was never in for more then 15 minutes at a time and we also use a non chemical filtration system to keep the water fresh. For both kids I spent early labor in the hot tub at home too and it was WONDERFUL.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i loved going into hotubs and pools when pregant. but the rule i was told was that in a hottub 10 to 15 mins then get out. the problem is is that it raises your core temp and can raise your blood pressure as well which can cause problems with baby.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i wouldnt do it cause my dr told me not to take hot baths cause the baby cant sweat so the can basicaly burn and there brains can get way to hot too
    Ashley2810

Answer by Ashley2810 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Well, no i never did use a hot tub when pregnant. I didn't even take my super hot baths like i like. some of us CAN make short term sacrifices for the health of our unborn babies. It raises your body temperature and can harm your baby, what more do you really want?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Say its not true, but I lost my baby the day after getting into one. I regret ever doing it. Why would you want to put your child at risk. I'll never get into one again , pregnant or not because i'm still not over the fact that this happened. I had just heard my babies healthy hearbeat several days before. Then after I done that , that was the end. It was awful
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The hospital I plan to give birth at has a hot tub in each room- it reduces pain in labor and helps you get through without an epidural. They say that it is fine as long as you are very aware of your body and it helps to have someone there to monitor you as well. They say you should get out when/if the water is hot enough to make your skin turn a little red, you start sweating heavily, you start breathing a lot through your mouth or it becomes more than just relaxing and actually starts to heat you.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:26 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• monitoring the temp is very important..if your core temp goes too high it can cause preterm labor and birth defects however the only person who can really give you advice that you will be likely to listen to is your doctor so ask them...they are there to answer all of your questions no matter what they are and they are the ones who know you your situation and your risks specifically
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2011