Bottle weaning. Pls read asap.

My daughter is 11 1/2 months old. She refuses to drink from a sippy cup. My doctor really wants to see her weaned off the bottle by 12 months. How can I do this if she wont even drink from a sippy? My in-laws are on my case about it, saying that weaning from the bottle at a year old is ridiculous and cruel. And that they wont support weaning in any way. Which is a big problem since we live with them. Any advice here? Im so tired of hearing ppl say that I am too tough on my daughter. I want her weaned by a year, her doctor wants her weaned by a year. Why cant my stupid in-laws except that?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its reccommend because it can damage her teeth what ive heard....id just tell your inlaws its your baby not theres and its what you and the doctor want.when i got my daughter off the bottle i just took them and put them away she never missed them but i was also told to start them on a sippy cup at 7 months so they can get used to them for like just juices though.
    Anonymous

• its normal to take the bottle away at a year if fact extremly recommend becuz it can cause teeth issues.
    id say just tell your in laws its your child and you need them to follow your rules please. as for getting her to drink from a sippy cup try a cup that has a bottle like spout they have lots that are soft sillcone spouts. my son liked them better. and you just have to take the bottle away all together. so i suggest when you decide to do it just take all bottles and throw them away. she will drink from a cup trust me even if you have to let her drink like a big girl. if there are no bottles in the house your in laws cant go and give her one when ur not looking.
    Anonymous

• Let them know YOU are the mother NOT them..I live with my in laws too and i hate it! But i let them know she is my daughter and i will do what i want with her..Anyway try getting a sippy cup that is kinda like a bottle..Like one that they would think was a bottle..Kroger has some i have an avent one it works pretty good..So Kroger and wal mart are the best places to look
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• tell them to stick it .you gave birth to her and you will raise her if you wanted their input you would have asked for it..its what i said to my inlaws reguarding my son and his toddler bed....and to help her adjust you cna do what i did gave my son a cuppy and told him thats it..i put his formula in it and his milk and after about three hours of crying he finally realized that thats where his drink is coming from and if he wants it then he has to use the cuppy i threw all the bottles away that day and havent looked back...good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• You are going to have to stand up to your in laws and just let them know that this is your child and that is what is best for her the longer she stays on the bottle it will end up affecting her teeth
    is she eating solid foods at least three to five times a day i mean breakfast morning snack lunch afternoon snack and dinner? what i did was started with a trainer sippy and if she wont take that then they have sippy cups that have a nipple looking top that she might be more apt to take. You may just have to take away the bottle all together and give her no choice but the sippy cup she may throw a fit at first but when she gets thirsty she will eventually give in and take the sippy. Let her give in and not you or anyone else if you give in and give back the bottle she will learn that if she throws a fit long enough you will give in to her wants you have to be able to show her that you are the parents and you are the boss. .
    garricksmommy

Answer by garricksmommy at 1:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• And if she refuses to drink milk out of the sippy they have a enfamil vital sol daily vitamin that you can give her to make up for the calcium and vitamin d that the milk gives her. My personal advice if you have not already and if she is eating solids no more formula she associates the formula with a bottle so if that is gone than maybe she will take the sippy better. I hope this helps. With the whole in law thing yu are just going to have to make them understand that this is your child not there and you are doing what is best for your child and it may not be the way they raied their children but it is how you are raising your daughter it might make them upset at first but they will get over it. I had to do the same thing to my mother in law
    garricksmommy

Answer by garricksmommy at 1:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• They have some cups like a bottle and she might like that. When my daughter was on the bottle, I was giving her a sippy cup too but only with like juice in it. She was off the bottle by a little after she turned 11mths and same for my son. I just took it away after I would give her formula and like out a little regular milk in it too and just slowly everyday gave her less and less of formula. Most parents let their kids cry about a bottle and give in, not me, my kids never did that but I've seen many who did.
    Anonymous

• It's going to take time and it might not happen right when she turns a year. My first really took to the sippy and refused bottles before he was a year, my second took a month after he was a year before he was fully weaned. I suggest you look into the nubby sippys, they almost imitate a bottle. Start with a soft sippy top before introducing the hard sippy. Start with something she'll want, like juice than go to milk. Milk will probably be the hardest to get her to accept from a sippy. But your doctor is right, the longer you let them stay with the bottle, the harder it will be to wean them from it also it's bad for their teeth.
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 2:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Have you tried different sippy cups? Maybe a straw one? Try going straight to a cup. You'll have to work with her, but she might like it more since it's more like what you are doing. My duaghter was off the bottle by 11 months. Weaning her went a lot faster and easier than I expected. I just took one bottle a week and replaced with a sippy cup. THere was no bottle option once one was gone. If she didn't want the cup, then she had to wait until her next meal to drink. She never really cared what cup or what was in it. but it did slow her down a little. Could have been the age too.
    Anonymous

• PS my mom wasn't too fond of the idea of me taking her bottle or pacifier away b/c she didn't want her to grow up too fast! But she got over it. She's only 18 months, so she's still my baby :) My cousin's kid is a litte over 2 and still on the bottle and pacifier. Everyone gets onto him but he doesn't care/listen. The little one runs around with the bottle hanging from his mouth all the time and he only drinks fruit punch (the high sugar kind, not even 100% jucie!)
    Anonymous