Atheists and religion

“In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners." ~ Jonathon Miller

Do you find this to be true or false? In what way?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I find that Atheists are better educated on religion that most religious folks. So, i can easily say yes. If they werent so serious wbout it, then they would not care to take the time to learn about it.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I find it true. The best example(s) I could give would be responses to questions here.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I take religion very seriously because left unchecked, it threatens my freedom, rights and safety.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think it's true, for the same reasons Samurai Chica spelled out. There are many people who blindly follow their faith without taking the time to really learn about it, IMO, those are the ones not taking religion seriously.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think there are some atheists who are just as adamant and fundamentalist in their opinions of religion as even the most fundamentalist believers, if you get what I mean. But in terms of being more serious, I don't think that's really true. Many believers put a lot of time and effort into their faith, digging for truth. Sure, there are those who don't put as much thought into it as other, but there ARE those of us who do, who take our acceptance of faith just as seriously, who go through the same kind search and digging and real thought as even those who reject faith, if that makes any sense....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• true. my husband and i take it seriously, as we've studied different religions for the point of learning. And i know there's no way not to offend any religious people, but we feel that religious people tend to follow what they're taught without questioning, believe things and don't know why, or care why, and avoid conversations that contradict what they are taught becasue it may make them have to think about it. I know of several smaller churches in our city that literally tell their members to not talk to people not of their faith.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:36 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Not true- I don't think they take religion more seriously- I think they question it more, but do not take it more seriously-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:25 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• True.
    the analytical mind tends to be more serious and thoughtful.
    I can't say they are less biased, prejudiced or more educated though.
    they seem to piss off as many people, as from any other belief system.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i think that they tend to put more thought into than believers because they are questioned about it and have to defend being an athiest more than we have to defend being a christian.
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 12:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Hmmm, I don't really agree. I think many Atheists took their research and choice about religion very seriously. But once choosing Atheism, I don't know a lot of Atheists (myself included) that actually take religion seriously. It's hard to take something one believes is based on myth and falsehoods seriously. I take people's right to choose their faith seriously, and I can even respect people who have deep faith and are true to it. But that's not the same as taking their religion seriously.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2011