How do I get the urine/urine smell out of a mattress!!!! AAAAH!

So my dd is potty training, she had been really good with night time trips to the potty and not having accidents. I stripped her bed the other day, and also did the mattress protective pad as well. It's leak proof so nothing gets to the mattress. I forgot to get it through the wash and dryer by the time dd had to go to bed, so I layed a couple towels over her sheet and thought she'd be fine for the night, if it gets on anything, it'll hit the towels. WRONG. She had kicked everything down in her bed (something else she never does except this time!) and she peed all OVER her sheet and it soaked down to the mattress. It's brand new! Ugh.
Is there any hope for that mattress? I told myself this wasn't going to happen! Ugh! Any ideas of what I could do??????

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 9:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Steam cleaner and bleach. My mattress was litterally soaked in pee from my son potty training. We were about to toss it and get a new one, but before we paid in full for the new mattress i got my big deep cleaner up on my bed and went to work. I sprayed it wet then got a squirt bottle of water/bleach mix. My mattress is a KING pillow TOP and it took a long time to clean it and it wasnt dry that night to sleep on....but it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• after cleaning it lay it out in the sun(that is what my mom use to do back in the day)
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• vinigar
    kadensmom04

Answer by kadensmom04 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• There is a product called Oudabon (if I am spelling it right) that I know a lot of people use around here to get piss smell out and swear by it. I know our Home Depot sells it.
    Wenders

Answer by Wenders at 11:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• anon, how long did it take to dry? I was worried about using our cleaner on it cause I didn't know if it would dry all the way....
    CABlonde

Comment by CABlonde (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The above will work. After get one of the mattress pads that do not feel like plastic but they do not let moisture through.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:40 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I've got one of those pads, it was just in the laundry at the time! ugh. ty! :)
    CABlonde

Comment by CABlonde (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2011