Another State, and counting.......

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/16/hawaiian-legislature-approves-same-sex-civil-unions/

thoughts??

Asked by older at 9:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I do have issues with legislating acceptance of something my faith teaches is sin.

How does the legality of a Civil Union force you to personally accept something you deem sinful? You can continue to have your feelings and opinions. There are those that believe drinking alcohol is sinful, yet it is legal. It is also legal to have children out of wedlock and yet this is a big no-no for some. Businesses are open on Holy Days of many religions as well. Just a few examples to think about. I acknowledge your right to your opinion and Faith but I am trying to understand how we can legislate some "sins" and not others.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have said before I don't really have an issue with legal unions. I do have issues with legislating acceptance of something my faith teaches is sin.

I don't see gay "marriage" being in all states for a very very long time and will require the trouncing of states rights to get there....if of course you go by what the US Constitution says.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Only what... 45 more to go?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Good for them.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• marriage as a faith decision is one thing, when you get a license from the state for MARRIAGE....religion has NOTHING to do with it...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Civil rights should NEVER be put to a vote.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have never understood the "trying to legislate acceptance" arguement. Nobody's asking *you* to accept anything. *You* are free to snub married gay people all you want, even deny their existance if it makes you feel better. They are asking for the government to grant them equal rights that in no way harm anyone else.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Good!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:03 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Wait, whoa- I did not post my response to change the tone of the thread-I believe we need to allow people to respond prior to a shift in demeanor-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2011