16 MONTH OLD ISN'T NAPPING DURING THE DAY. HELP!!

HOW DO I GET MY 16 MONTH OLD SON TO TAKE A NAP DURING THE DAY. HE WANTS TO PLAY IN HIS CRIB AND YELL. I HAVE TO GO IN AN LAY HIM DOWN SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE IT IS TIME TO GET UP. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.

CARECARE04

Asked by CARECARE04 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ugh! I hear you. I take my daughter for walks at nap time. I like it because it gets me out and moving plus helps her fall asleep. Maybe he needs his nap time adjusted. He may not be ready at the time you are putting him down. Try watching for bigger signs. My daughter gets really red around her eyes, wants to breast feed (thats another issue lol), slows down, becomes clumsy, rubs her eyes, pulls her ears, or starts to whimper for no reason.

Good luck! This is so frustrating!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Well a 16 month old is not going to take a nap if it is not quiet in the household...? what time does he/she wake up in the morning? and if it is late the she is going to take a late nap...and nap time no matter what shold be the same time everyday even on the weekends, that works really well...Lot of activities during they day well help and no sweets or juices before nap they have to much sugars for the children to nap...smiles
    safan

Answer by safan at 2:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• my sons are only a year old and they dont nap through the day eaither. So i dont know what to tell you i could use the help too
    Cole_monster

Answer by Cole_monster at 2:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• my advice if you have a radio that you can put cds in and if you have any of the fisher price baby cds that are lullabies or calming music try that and a sippy with warm milk seems to help
    and i do not know what time you are trying to lay him down but with my daycare i usaully eat from 11:30 to 12:30 and let them play untill around 1pm and then lay the children untill 3:00 or 3:15 and that seems that they have their bellies full and a little more play seems to make them fall asleep better. once you put him dow walk away and do not keep going in there that is what he wants eventually he will give up and some children only need a very short nap and they are ok and ready to go.
    garricksmommy

Answer by garricksmommy at 2:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. Helped us help the twins become great nappers and sleep through the night.
    At 16 mos he probably is ready (if you haven't already made the switch) for one nap. Make sure he's up by 7a.m., lots of light and stimulation throughout the morning, then slow things down around 12, give him lunch and put him down for his nap. If he hollers, let him holler. Part of the problem may be that you go in to lay him down. Let him be and eventually he'll fall asleep. An early bed time can also help. Quiet the house down in the evening, brush teeth, do a story in his crib and lights out around 7.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Ditto on Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Its a great book. Before i read it i thought the kid just knew when he was tired and would go to sleep.... its not really like that. You really do have to do a combination of training them and "reading" their signs of tiredness.
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 3:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008